LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Heated windshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 05:29 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated windshield

Had an opportunity to use the heated windshield feature today. Worked great, but only on the driver's side. Does anyone know if it's splitinto two electrical circuits with different fuses (similar to how headlights are typically wired)?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Heated windshield

Most Rover are split and have 2 fuses, might want to check your fuses and also the connectors.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Three Wheeling

replacement windshield on our 03 Disco only heats on the passenger side - looks like it's time to check the fuses.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Check the wire harness connection on the drivers side, under the hood, probably is not plugged in.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Three Wheeling

thanks for tip - will add that to my checklist.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:14 PM
4wd Low

What happens when this windshield gets cracked and needs to be replaced? I have a new LR2 and mine is fine for now, but I was wondering this the other day. Anybody with any experience with this? Do you go to the LR dealer and pay for the replacement? Does insurance pick up some of the cost (big cost I'm imagining)?

Old 01-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: scogs

What happens when this windshield gets cracked and needs to be replaced? I have a new LR2 and mine is fine for now, but I was wondering this the other day. Anybody with any experience with this? Do you go to the LR dealer and pay for the replacement? Does insurance pick up some of the cost (big cost I'm imagining)?
I just went through this with my 03 Disco - my insurance company (Progressive) treated it just like any other windshield (albeit a very expensive one), so I just paid the standard windshield deductible they've charged me for previous (non-heated windshield) vehicles (for me, $100).

The issue I had was that replacing the windshield on Discos apparently typically requires replacing the a-pillar exterior trim, which breaks easily according to a local LR expert. The windshield company I used (Safelite) didn't order new a-pillar trim, so when they replaced the windshield they broke the trim and then slapped it back on, using huge globs of black caulking to cover the large gaps that resulted from the trim being broken. It looked awful, but no one told me about the problem until I picked up the truck (after hours).

I then had to fight with Safelite to get them to fix the parts they broke - it took numerous phone calls to their local office and their national customer support service center to get them to consider replacing it. They finally did (after Progressive agreed to pay for the trim), but only after they didn't bother to show up for two different appointments I had booked with them (both times switching cars with my wife, who normally drives the Disco).

Now I have a new windshield, with new a-pillar trim, but only half of it heats. I made the truck available to Safelite for the 5th time (the 3rd time they actually showed up) for them to check it again, but they couldn't find anything wrong with it (hence my posts above).

I'll be going with a different vendor next time.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM
5th Gear

Hey!

I've recently had a stone fly into my windshield. Thankfully it only made a little chip, and I had it fixed right away. But I did inquire as to the replacement cost of the windshield, and with the rain sensor area and heated elements throughout, it would come up to $850 + labour. Canadian prices. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but it's quite steep. This was a quote from Apple Auto Glass.

Cheers!

Old 03-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Drifting

The rule of thumb with luxury cars is that the first thing you do is tell the insurance company you will only accept "Branded" replacement parts. That ensures you don't get a $500 windshield instead of your Pilkington windshield. There ARE heated windshields out there, made by off-brand companies, but they aren't recommended Land Rover replacements, and would void the warranty on the windshield electronics.

My windshield was broken by a flying chunk of ice about a year ago, it was replaced in 3 days (the time it took Pilkington to get the replacement to the insurance company's repair shop). However, just to be on the safe side, I took the LR2 back to my dealer and had them check the installation. Even by requesting branded replacement parts, I only paid the deductible.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:23 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by VermontRoverGal
The rule of thumb with luxury cars is that the first thing you do is tell the insurance company you will only accept "Branded" replacement parts. That ensures you don't get a $500 windshield instead of your Pilkington windshield. There ARE heated windshields out there, made by off-brand companies, but they aren't recommended Land Rover replacements, and would void the warranty on the windshield electronics.

My windshield was broken by a flying chunk of ice about a year ago, it was replaced in 3 days (the time it took Pilkington to get the replacement to the insurance company's repair shop). However, just to be on the safe side, I took the LR2 back to my dealer and had them check the installation. Even by requesting branded replacement parts, I only paid the deductible.
Nice. Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: Heated windshield