LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Is the LR2 REALLY WORTH BUYING?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 11:40 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the LR2 REALLY WORTH BUYING?

I'm new here and new to British vehicles. I've always liked the look of the LR2, but after reading of so many problems, are they really worth it?
I can buy a new anybodies SUV for about the same as a used 2014 / 2015 LR2, granted the interior is not as nice and I do prefer the look of the LR2, but I'm heading into retirement in 1 year and I don't really want to be spending all that time at the shop for repairs.
What are your thoughts on this?

Old 04-14-2016, 05:58 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

Just keep in mind that the reason you read about problems can be the result of a couple factors that have little to do with the overall reliability of the vehicle.

First, people tend to be more motivated to post a comment/question when they have a problem. All the things that work well don't get any press.

Second, I would propose that Land Rover owners tend to be more computer-skills-savvy and participate more on the internet than perhaps other vehicle owners who passively go through life and don't engage with others in online forums. So you have a more active community of owners who share it all.

The LR2 has the best combination of looks and size of any SUV out there. You just have the weigh what is most important for you.

The following users liked this post:
Mark Bennett (04-29-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you to the poster as this is a question I have too.

But I am in the opposite situation. I don't like the look of the LR2. I had a '95 D90 sold it and now have a 2004 D2. Both were used 85% - 90% of the time on the street. But the rest of the time I am out camping hiking or 4 getting in the dirt.

In my case I need something more fuel efficient, practical and reliable. I know the LR2 is not a D90 and even though my 2004 D2 always has highway tires on it did see some fun.

So how is the LR2 when you take it off the HWY? I had fun showing up my friend this past weekend in his new 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with all his off road bells and whistles. He couldn't get up a short loose dirt incline. The D2 when up over and over again without break a sweat! Will I lose these great moments when I am grinning ear to ear??

Thanks!
-D

Old 05-21-2016, 05:09 PM
5th Gear

You get the same phenomenon on every vehicle specific BBS. That's why they exist, to identify shared problems and solutions. Do a search for Mustang or Camaro websites or any other brand/model.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:52 PM
Overlanding

To original post: The LR2 is the "all of the above" vehicle. It looks great, performs well, and is a decent off road vehicle. I have an '08 with over 100k on it, and have yet to face any high maintenance costs. If you treat the LR2 well: change the oil with synthetic regularly and keep maintenance up to date, it will last.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:00 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the LR2, way to many problems inherent component problems. Suggest moving up to the Discovery if you can.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Winching
Received 261 Likes on 198 Posts

Mine has had no significant problems other than the rear diff, and a few minor leaks which the dealer found when they did the diff. It drives very well (including snow/ice) and also tows a large trailer very well at max weight.

Interior fit and finish looks nice but is a bit on the cheap-plastic side, but that's the case with most newer year cars.

My wife loves the look, so given that and how well it drives I can accept higher mx costs associated with the LR brand...as long as it doesn't turn into a reliability issue.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:47 PM
1st Gear

NOOOOO! The LR2 IS NOT WORTH BUYING. Why you say? The need to effect repairs in off road circumstances, or any other circumstance, is not easy. I mean really? My wife bought one while I was out of country and now I am stuck with this really expensive pleather interior cracking, dash cracking.....garage kept mind you; piece of junk? The paint is fading on the hood. AND you cant easily effect the most meager repairs. Look where the oil filter is for crap sake!!!!!!!!!! My BMW is 1000 times more dependable and easier to fix than a bicycle chain! I would not take this junk off road for anything. Buy a jeep.

Oh and I realize this is an old post but I just had to vent.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Winching
Received 261 Likes on 198 Posts

I've done basic maintenance myself (oil, rotate tires, spark plugs, brake jobs) with no issues. You need a socket extension to unscrew the oil filter cap, and and u-joint for the extension helps (also unclip the PS reservoir to get it out of the way).

The rear diff is the big bogey, if that's a deal breaker don't buy the car. If I were in the market I'd look for one with the rear diff already on the way out, leverage that to get a $3K discount off the price and then have it replaced with the updated version which should hopefully not have the problem.

My paint's fine, car is kept outside BUT is waxed regularly. Modern car paint (EPA compliant) will not hold up like paint from years ago UNLESS...

1) Keep it waxed, three times per year or maybe more in a hot climate.
2) Don't ever park under trees or lightpoles. The sun will not hurt the paint if it's waxed, but the acid in bird poop will eat holes in it. If I even see bird poop I wash it off immediately...otherwise you'll be able to see the etching in the topcoat in a matter of days.

Last edited by merlinj79; 09-03-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:06 AM
8th Gear
Default G`day Mark ,

Mate all i can say is try and get the best one you can ,, but with any thing its a gamble , i brought mine and the gearbox spat it on the way home ,, the massive trailer in the drive should have been a give away but thats life ,, then about a month later the 3 amigo`s ,, i fixed that with the option 2 mod ,
Then one day the radio turned on and the windows went down and up ,, the doors locked and then did some other freaky stuff ,,
There was a dry joint in the fuse box ,, fixed ,,
Mine is a TD5 i do my own work ,, and after these problems i have had none ,,
I have now put 300,000 on the green girl ,, and get 900 K`s out of a tank ,,, i have chipped the ECU and fitted a VNT turbo from garret ,,
She is a keeper ,,,
If you need any info i have a Facebook page i store all the info on D2 things Like the work shop Manuel so just yell if you need any help ,,
Cheers Rob