LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 Trailer wiring kit help!!!

Old 08-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oliver1071
Thanks!

It came out to $495 total.
The wiring kit I picked up for $295 I found it at http://www.bputah.com/LR2/Land_Rover...g_Harness.html
But still purchased it at Atlantic British since the have a price match guarantee.
it was $50 for the activation and $150 for the hitch.

I preferred the factory harness and module since it will actually turn off your reverse sensors and tell you if any of your trailer lights are out.
I'm sure it does other things as well with the traction control.

I pulled my trailer before getting the module straightened out and those back up sensors are annoying all you hear is the constant tone when you're backing up since the trailer is so close.
I'd make sure that the after-market kits disable the sensors when you're in reverse before buying one.
It's probably safer to stick with the OEM parts anyways. Very cool that it tells you if a light is out.

What are you pulling? I'm curious to how the V6 would handle pulling a 2000-3000lb boat compared to our V8 Tahoe. With the weight of the lr2 plus the boat, the brakes would get a workout.

Kevin

Old 08-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Drifting

On a completely un-related note...do you find your trip computer to be accurate with mpg averages?

Old 09-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going through the same install now and trying to decide on OEM hitch or one of the aftermarkets. From the diagram it looks my question is answered, but any clearance loss with the Hidden Hitch? Looks like it's still higher than the muffler, so may only be exit angle issues.

I like the fact that the aftermarkets don't require cutting and the Hidden has the plug attach plate. What was the deciding factor for you on going with the Hidden? And what are your thoughts after having it for a bit now? LIke the looks?

THanks

Old 09-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by kjmass1
It's probably safer to stick with the OEM parts anyways. Very cool that it tells you if a light is out.

What are you pulling? I'm curious to how the V6 would handle pulling a 2000-3000lb boat compared to our V8 Tahoe. With the weight of the lr2 plus the boat, the brakes would get a workout.

Kevin
I'm pulling a 5'x8' 21" high solid side utility trailer 2990lb GVW.
I've had it loaded to the top with firewood which had to have been close to the 2990lb limit if not slightly higher and the lr2 handled it great.
No problems with acceleration or braking at all.

I also used it to pull out a mature boxwood this weekend. I don't miss my pickup truck at all

Old 09-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DeathWind
Going through the same install now and trying to decide on OEM hitch or one of the aftermarkets. From the diagram it looks my question is answered, but any clearance loss with the Hidden Hitch? Looks like it's still higher than the muffler, so may only be exit angle issues.

I like the fact that the aftermarkets don't require cutting and the Hidden has the plug attach plate. What was the deciding factor for you on going with the Hidden? And what are your thoughts after having it for a bit now? LIke the looks?

THanks
It is slightly higher than the exhaust maybe an 1" to 1 1/2" here's an actual picture from the side.

The lower weight rating, cutting and price were the main reasons for going with this one over oem.

But the 500lb extra towing and 70lb extra tongue weight was the main reason for going aftermarket. Because I'm going to be using the trailer at its limits.

I love the hitch and I'm wondering why I didn't go this route a long time ago. I had always kept a pickup truck for home improvement work and firewood etc. With this I get the best of both utility and style and it's so much nicer pulling a trailer for a 2 hour trip than riding in a beater pickup truck.

The only thing that may have pushed me to the oem hitch.
Would have been if I had a bright colored LR2 I don't know how it would look if I had a white LR2 but it blends in nice with black on black.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Three Wheeling

Might as well post a full shot of my setup. I don't see to many people actually using their LR's for anything but groceries

Old 09-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Drifting

Looks good. Thanks for the quick response and answers. Your setup pretty much tells me what I'm going to do. I can't see a difference in the Hidden and Draw-Tite (etrailer.com photos), and the Curt version doesn't have the electrics plug mount. OEM is too costly and don't like the idea of cutting on the bumper. I have the OEM electrics on order and may wait on the Hidden until I get back to the mainland, since I won't need it until then.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Drifting
Default Hitch ? for Oliver

Making the final preps for the trailer and hitch. Decided on the Draw-tite but need couple questions answered:

It looks like you have the shadow chrome wheels...18 or 19"

Do you remember the height to the top of your hitch? My trailer is built but I won't see it until I get back state side. I need the hitch height to figure my rise or drop for the ball mount and your setup looks like it would give me the final measurement I need.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Three Wheeling

Hey DeathWind I do have 19"s on the LR and I just went out and measured my hitch hight is 15½" and for my trailer I run with a 2" raised ball.
Let me know if you need anymore info.

I have to say I've been using the LR all summer to gather wood and I haven't been disappointed. The LR could definitely handle more than I can stack in the 5' x 8' trailer.

Last edited by oliver1071; 12-26-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:32 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

actually since the OEM provides less then what the aftermarket towing is, if you run into transmission or drivetrain issues you may end up getting your warrantee canceled because the aftermarket is over the limit by the manufacturer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LR2 Trailer wiring kit help!!!