LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 Trailer wiring kit help!!!

Old 12-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great, thanks for the information. I won't see my trailer until I get back to the east coast in January. Ordering the draw-tite and ball mounts to have it waiting on me so I can install it once the LR2 arrive back on the mainland. Installed the OEM tow wiring and had the local dealer activate it. Should be good to go..

Name:  Trailer2.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  12.3 KBName:  Ranch3.jpg
Views: 1774
Size:  37.7 KB

Old 12-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Drifting
Default ??

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
actually since the OEM provides less then what the aftermarket towing is, if you run into transmission or drivetrain issues you may end up getting your warrantee canceled because the aftermarket is over the limit by the manufacturer.

I think that would be the case if you exceeded the towing capacities of the vehicle, but not because the hitch capacity used is better than the OEM. Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act: "Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty."

In my case, the motorcycle and trailer will not exceed the unbraked weight limitation (1700lbs) or even come close to the 3500lb capacity of the vehicle.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see that being a problem since the owners manual says "Maximum towing capacity is 3,500"
That's all the hidden hitch is rated for.

RECOMMENDED TOWING WEIGHTS
Note:
When towing the maximum permissible
gross vehicle weight can be increased by a
maximum of 100 kg (220 lbs) provided that the
road speed is limited to 100 km/h (60 mph).

Note:
When calculating rear axle loading,
remember that the trailer tongue weight, the
load in the vehicle's luggage area, weight on
the roof rack, and the weight of rear seat
passengers must all be added together.

Maximum permissible towing
weights
On-road Off-road
Unbraked trailers 750 kg (1650 lbs) 750 kg (1650 lbs)
Trailers with overrun brakes 1588 kg (3500 lbs) 750 kg (1650 lbs)
Tongue weight 150 kg (330 lbs) 150 kg (330 lbs)

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
actually since the OEM provides less then what the aftermarket towing is, if you run into transmission or drivetrain issues you may end up getting your warrantee canceled because the aftermarket is over the limit by the manufacturer.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Nice Shots Deathwind. I was just out driving in the snow.
Shame these come with high performance summer tires I would have preferred an all weather tire. They're even harder to find in 19"s

Old 12-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Drifting

Really? Here in Hawaii mine came with Continental's 4x4 Contact Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season. They don't have seasons here...its more like warm and warmer. The summer tires would have been better suited for here, but glad they're all season since I'm headed to snow. I have the Sport version of the Shadow Chrome 19" and so far the tires are doing ok. When I get back stateside I'll be driving from Florida to New Hampshire in February, so it will be interesting to see how they do in the various driving conditions I'll hit.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah mine came with Continental CrossContact UHP (Street/Sport Truck Summer) pretty dumb for the LR and I bought it used. The dealer was nice enough to throw on another set of brand new tires so I guess I have to wait another 25 - 30k to throw the tires I want on the LR.

Pennsylvania isn't the best for summer tires then again I don't see why the LR2 would have summer tires anywhere it's not like people are racing this thing! Most of the competition SUV's are faster that's not why I purchased the LR2.

Enjoy Hawaii this is what it looks like here Now if I could just teach my dogs not to pee on the grill.

Last edited by oliver1071; 12-26-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: adding pic
Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Drifting

Yuck....not looking forward to New Hampshire. Been a few years (12) since i've been in major winter weather. Grew up in WV, so not too concerned, but the wife isn't happy about going to the cold. Shipping the LR to Orlando today, pick it up at end of January, then drive it and the trailer up the east coast visiting friends and family.

So were the UHP's stock or something somebody threw on there before you bought it? Don't understand why people buy 4x4 or AWD then keep it on the road. The pics above were from the dealer trip to Kualoa Ranch where they have a demo course set up to show the LR's capabilities and for you to learn your car's capabilities. It had 650 miles on it and was first LR2 to go through the entire course. They said most LR2 owners look at the course and only do certain parts. What sucked was that it was dry that week and didn't get as muddy as I wanted. THis ranch is where they filmed a lot films....Jurassic park, Windtalkers, Pearl Harbor, Godzilla, Tears of the Sun and 50 First Dates and TV like Hawaii Five-O, Magnun P.I. and LOST. Was a pretty cool drive.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Three Wheeling

The UHP's were stock and on their way out when I bought the LR so I was ready to put some real tires on.
But before I picked it up they threw on new tires without me knowing to be nice.
I can't complain almost a thousand dollar set of tires.

I haven't done any off roading for fun just trips off-road for firewood.
We definitely use it for more than just groceries.
It did a nice job popping out one of our boxwoods so we could move it to a new location.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Drifting

Nice....cool to see a vehicle being used as intended. Gas is outrageous here and its comical to see huge 4x4s running around with low profile summer tires, knowing they've never seen anything other than asphalt. Well the LR is on its way to the mainland. Ready to get off this island and see some other states.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:33 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for all of the info! I too purchased that same hidden hitch and it looks and works great. I made the mistake of ordering the generic wiring kit and decided to go with the OEM one that you talked about. I ordered it today, though a slightly different model than yours as I have an '09 LR2.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LR2 Trailer wiring kit help!!!