LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 Trailer wiring kit help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I installed mine too but when I had issues, I dug back in and removed it to see if I did anything wrong or the fuse was bad or I could improve the ground connection and check for other issues. And I thought, maybe they just need the module itself so I don't have to bring the car into the bay just for that.

But yeah, it makes sense that it has to be installed so the ODB or iiTool can interface with it, or activate it while installed.

Thanks once again, I'll let you know how I made out.

Jay

Old 06-20-2016, 02:04 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oliver1071
Jay you're out of space for private messages so I'll put my response here.

They will install the module if you need it installed. Mine I already had installed so they just programmed it for if I remember correctly $50 or so they just connect to the cars odbII port and activate the module if you have it installed already no need to leave the module exposed they don't need to touch the unit if you already have it installed in the LR2.
What "Module" are you referring to in this thread?

Old 06-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trailer wiring module/control box that comes with the Land Rover trailer wiring harness kit - LR003108. I just installed this along with LR007482 tow bar kit for North America. The aftermarket kits do not have this control box or 'module', and they do not not required the actuating of the trailer/tow function.

Oliver had the same issue with his LR2, where the individual trailer wires were only reading between 3 and 6 Volts and trailer lights would not work until he had it actuated via proper diagnostic tool. Other LR models are factory set to tow as well, and do not need this activation or actuation.

I believe the internal BCM is what actually gets activated. I had some initial confusion if the harness module could be activated on its own but that was incorrect. (kinda dumb on my part actually - hehehe.)

I am not too far from the iiD Tool manufacturer in Montreal and they will activate it for much less than a dealer.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:26 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is old, but those of you who have installed tow hitches, please let me know which brand you went with. The Hidden Hitch is discontinued, and while findable, my local tow shop wants to install the Draw Tite. My concern is that it is angled, and looks like it might stick out past the bumper, and won't be as hidden as the Hidden Hitch (Pun intended). Has anyone gone with the Curt hitch? Thoughts please. Thanks in advance

Old 06-22-2018, 12:40 PM
5th Gear

I don't know if anyone still reads this but I have a question. I bought the oem harness from atlantic british and had the stealership activate it they said it is activated they had all "green lights" but there is no power to the plug and when I start the car is has a long tone, and there are no back up sensors. The problem is when I called the stealership back she gave me an attitude because I didn't by factory parts and there is nothing else they can do. I am really pissed right now because it is either programed wrong or a bad module. The long tone and loss of sensor should be a program issue. I just need thoughts before I explode on her. Oh she also said the only way to fix it is for them to install factory harness, which I thought oem meant. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:26 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by mikemedic3
I don't know if anyone still reads this but I have a question. I bought the oem harness from atlantic british and had the stealership activate it they said it is activated they had all "green lights" but there is no power to the plug and when I start the car is has a long tone, and there are no back up sensors. The problem is when I called the stealership back she gave me an attitude because I didn't by factory parts and there is nothing else they can do. I am really pissed right now because it is either programed wrong or a bad module. The long tone and loss of sensor should be a program issue. I just need thoughts before I explode on her. Oh she also said the only way to fix it is for them to install factory harness, which I thought oem meant. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Hmm it could be a bad harness too. That’s what it sounds like to me. The backup sensors are supposed to be off if you have a trailer attached so the truck thinks you have something plugged in. At least that’s what I think anyway.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:27 AM
5th Gear

Thank you for the responsed but I think it is a programing issue I unplugged the harness and the tone still happens when I start the car and I still have no tone when I put it in reverse or the backup sensors. I was guessing if I unplug the module the can network wont see it there and revert to base program and reverse sensors and such. but it acts the same so maybe some issue in bcm. I am trying to research everything I can because the service manager is giving me a hard time because she doesn't want to "deal with this" because I didn't buy from them and states that there is a new part for this the vpkts0003 which I called atlantic british back and he said that it is just a new part number to precede the old and still the same part. She is using every excuse to push me out. Her latest is they will back the program out tues and not try to redo it. I need the trailer hitch and they are the only dealer in the state. They also wacked me 150.00 to do the program for 15 min. I live in RI so I can go to mass but then
I would have to pay again. This also is all happening without a trailer attached there is no power to the plug

Old 06-26-2018, 11:26 AM
Three Wheeling

That's a shame the great brittens in Willow Grove PA we're great. Even with me giving them a bad module first they kept plugging away at it for no extra charge .
If I ever do it again I'll probably just let the dealer do it all it's not worth the aggravation that I went through for a couple hundred bucks .