LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 windshield wiper replacement

Old 02-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts
Default LR2 windshield wiper replacement

The original wipers on my 2008 LR2 have lasted this long because we don't get a lot of rain in my area, and no snow or ice. After five years, my wiper blades probably wore down as much from the spring tension of the wiper arms pressing against the glass as from actual usage.

I wanted to save a little money, so I opted to replace the OEM wipers with aftermarket wipers. The front wipers on this vehicle are the beam style, not the bracketed wipers found on older cars. When replacing beam wipers, you generally replace the entire assembly although you can still find the rubber blade inserts in some stores.

The front wipers on this vehicle have a pinch-tab attachment so I wanted to get a replacement with the same type of attachment and not fool around with adapters. I purchased a set of Trico NeoForm wiper blades. For reference, the product code for the drivers side is Trico 16-2413 and for the passenger side is Trico 16-2013. They installed perfectly.

When I used the wipers for the first time in the rain, I noticed a streaky haze. But then I realized it was residue from RainX I applied last week. As a side note, I would not use RainX again unless I had some urgent situation where my wipers didn't work. The residue it leaves behind is annoying and does not come off with standard glass cleaner. I purchased a special bathroom cleanser (Soft Scrub) that removed the RanX silicone residue from the glass. The next time I used my wipers, everything was clear and good.

I'm attaching a video link which provides a brief illustration of how to install the new wipers. I'll describe the rear wiper replacement in my next post.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Winching

The rear wiper replacement was a little different than the front. The OEM wiper on the 2008 LR2 is a bracketed wiper (OEM part # LR003221) and is 13.5" long. However, in a later model year it was replaced by a modern beam style wiper (OEM part # LR030630) which is 13.75" long. I am attaching a photo showing a comparison of the two wipers (bracketed style shown on bottom of photo, newer beam style shown on top).

I could have saved a few bucks and purchased an aftermarket wiper and it probably would have worked out fine. The product code I was looking at for the Trico NeoForm 14" rear wiper is Trico 16-140. However, I decided to go with the Genuine OEM replacement because I wasn't sure about the transition from bracket to beam and the odd length of the OEM version. So I purchased and installed the LR030630, which went on perfectly.

I'm also attaching a photo of the rear wiper arm (with the blade removed) showing the small J hook. And I'm providing a video link from Trico with an illustration of how it's installed, which is a different from the front blades.

Attached Thumbnails LR2 windshield wiper replacement-lr2-wipers-rear.jpg   LR2 windshield wiper replacement-lr2-wiper-rear-arm.jpg  
Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip about the Trico blades. I've been trying to find a decent replacement for my original blades. I bought Goodyear Assurance blades from Costco, which turned out to be junk. I tossed those after 2 days and bought a set from RoverParts.com, and although it says "quality land rover parts" on the package, there are 2 swaths completely missed by these wipers. So I'll try the Trico since I refuse to buy anything from the dealer if I can help it.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Winching

My front wipers, which are brand new, are skipping and chattering across the windshield during very light rain when the glass is half wet/half dry. This is a common problem that I found searching other auto forums. Following their advice, I soaked the edge of a clean rag in Rubbing Alcohol and cleaned the glass as well as the edges of the wiper blades. Had light rain conditions again today and this fix worked.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:03 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it, and its work with me also, thank you

Old 04-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Winching

UPDATE: Now that I've used my new Trico NeoForm front wipers a few weeks, I found them to work fine at normal or high speed when rain is medium/strong. But for a light sprinkle, the wipers don't glide smoothly like the old OEM wipers did.

I think the OEM wipers had more curvature in their beams than these Trico wipers have, perhaps pressing them against the glass with more pressure. Quite disappointing, especially since these are premium brand-name blades. On reflection, I am not entirely happy with my choice to save a few dollars on these Trico wiper blades, so for the next replacement I will get OEM.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just ordered a set of the Trico NeoForm wipers for my LR2, and they did not fit at all. They don't even have the same kind of attachment to fit the arm on the LR2 and didn't come with any adapters. I had to send them back. I also tried a set of Bosch Evolution wipers that also didn't fit. The only wiper I know fit this vehicle are the Bosch ICON wipers, but they wore out in under 6 months, so I don't want them again. Does anyone know for sure what wipers fit an LR2? Or why the NeoForms I bought didn't fit while others did? Did yours come with adapters to fit?

Old 10-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Winching

I have a 2008 LR2. The Trico Neoforms I purchased fit very well (no adapter needed), BUT I did not think they fit correctly when I first attempted to install them because you need to insert it in just the right way to make it attach correctly. After fiddling with it for awhile, I figured out how to attach it properly. It helps to look closely at how the old wiper is attached before you remove it. It's funny how such a simple device is so tricky to replace.

As I indicated in my previous post, the Neoforms made a streaking noise at slow speed which was annoying. So I replaced them with Trico ExactFit blades that also fit very well and have proven to be quiet at all speeds. The Trico ExactFit product numbers are 20-15B and 24-15B. No adapter needed.