LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Radiator Fan not working, A/C warm, engine running hot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Radiator Fan not working, A/C warm, engine running hot?

Well this happened to me. Radiator fans not working, A/C gone warm, car running hot when not moving.

After reading a number of posts on some other forums, predominanty in the USA and Australia where the 3.2 is more common, it seems that the fan motors themselves actually wear out. Well the brushes at least.

So I bought the "hot climate" twin fan assembly as a replacement, according to JLR hot climate is the Middle East only, I guess for the LR boffins Australia and South Africa is "nice" rather than "hot" LOL. And as it turns out the twin fan is quite a bit cheaper than the single one. Work that out...

Single fan assembly p/n LR026078, GBP £357
Twin fan assembly p/n LR011905, GBP £289

(these are UK list prices btw, you will probably pay different, as I did)

You used to be able to buy the fan control relay module for the single fan assembly as a spare, but not anymore. I guess Land Rover got sick of people buying modules when the fan motor crapped out, and then complaining that it still wasn't fixed.

The twin fan assembly comes with a new module anyhow.

While doing the fan I was planning on replacing the thermostat and the accessory drive belt (it's due in 20k), but i'm a bit time poor this week and the wife wants her car back on the road, so i'll leave that all for the next service.

So instead of pulling the intake manifold as per the workshop manual, i decided to swap out the fans using the bumper off method instead (had been recommended down here in Oz)

Headlights and bumper off, ducting removed.

New twin fan vs. old single

New fan assembly in. Honestly this was a struggle. To get the old fan out
you have to remove the control relay module, and move the bottom of the radiator forwards and backwards as you pull the fan out. The locking tabs on the fan also get caught up in various hoses. With a bit of patience and struggle, I got the old one out. The new one did seem to go in a bit easier.

And all back together

The single fan is a 500W unit according to the workshop manual, with the twin fans being 750W. The twins certainly shift a lot more air.
I reckon finding a replacement fan motor would be easy enough, maybe someone down the track could benefit from a rebuilt unit.

All back together now, wife has her car back again, running cool.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:08 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have the same problem. Fan is not turning on. 2008 LR2. Did you have any issues installing the dual fan model? It is less expensive and I like that it will have more fans blowing - and arguably two fans is better than one... maybe.
Is it a direct replacement with no issues? Thanks!

Old 07-23-2016, 06:06 AM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a direct replacement, fits in exactly the same as the single fan assembly.

I would not say it's an easy or particularly fun job though... you need to remove the intake manifold and unbolt the radiator to make enough room to get them in and out.

And take the front bumper off...