LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Stock Alpine Audio System with Subwoofer: AMP + Sub install?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:54 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Alpine Audio System with Subwoofer: AMP + Sub install?

Hey Guys

Anyways, I can't, for the love of god, find a complete stereo wiring diagram for my SE LR2. I am trying to connect an amplifier to my stock system for more bass, but don't know where to start. I have install a couple of amps and subs in different cars, but there is basically no information on our wiring schematics.

Basically, I need to know where would be a good place to:

1. Install a remote lead (ignition on) line
2. If the stock headunit does not come with RCA outputs, then where would be the best place to place the speaker level inputs?

Thanks guys..

Old 10-09-2009, 03:31 PM
6th Gear

Anyone? I'm sure there are many people here that installed an amp and sub into their lr2...Does anyone have any instructions?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Overlanding

Haven't a clue on this vehicle dude....BUT I'm looking to do the same, so once I do I'll post the info.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:58 PM
5th Gear

well I have an appointment to get 2 10 inch alpine type R subwoofers installed, along with a Alpine MRP M1000 mono block amplifier to move them. Wanted to keep alpine throughout the car.. The guy at the audio store tried explaining how he was going to do and he was mentioning something about finding a new signal from the old amplifier. I have never installed any car audio or anything, hence the reason i am turning to professionals, but I thought I would say what I heard.

UPDATE

I have everything installed in my truck, and as far as i know, I am the only LR2 owner I have heard of with an amp or subs.. I got the alpine subs + the alpine amp installed in a ported box (black carpet), and I decided to keep my factory head unit, so I had to get a high to low adapter, and I had a bass **** installed, the finishing product was great, the installation was very professional with no visible wires, and it sounds AMAZING, my car bumps so loud!! Well, If you have any questions about installing after market audio systems in your LR2 feel free to ask.

Last edited by jonkaplan; 12-08-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:53 PM
4wd Low

Just trying to follow-up on this thread. I want to install another sub in my LR2. I want to replace the stock sub and amp. Has anyone done this and can you provide some details. The previous posters - can you provide any pictures or more detail? A wiring diagram on the stereo systems would be fantastic.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

lr1 stereos are complicated in that the entire system is interconnected. Nothing will work if one part goes down.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:08 PM
4wd Low

I have done a number of installs and new cars are tough for a complete stereo replacement. These systems are linked to other systems in the car but typically the subwoofer section consists of either a separate amp or section of an amp that then powers the speaker itself. So replacing just the subwoofer can be straight-forward IF you know how it is wired. What I really need is a wiring diagram. I have looked at the RAVE CDs and they are not for newer models. Anyone have a wiring diagram? I am about at the point where I will just graph and o-scope and staft probing the thing....

Old 01-13-2010, 06:05 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

buy a subscription to land rover gtr.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Drifting

I'm thinking of adding my sub to my LR2. Can you tap into the wiring of the sub that is in the spare wheel storage?

I don't want to do anything to the head unit. Just looking for a place for the lead, battery power, audio out, and ground.

Did you have to use a hi->lo adaptor because you tapped into a regular speaker?

Please contact me off list johns3km (@) jmu.edu or twitter @kjmass1

Thanks
Kevin

Old 07-23-2010, 08:23 AM
4wd Low

You are in luck I did it a few months ago.

Tapping into the subwoofer wiring
The stock subwoofer is located next to the spare tire and has a connector on the top of it you can see. There are four wires. The stock subwoofer is a dual coil so the four wires drive the two voicecoils. The two left wires drive one coil and the two right wires drive the other coil. Tap these wires to connect to your amp. I used an amp with speaker level input (MTX5601) and also senses the speaker signal to turn the amp on. I don't remember the polarity of the sub wiring but I do remember it would only work one way.

Amp mounting - I tried to fit the amp in the spare tire compartment but the amp I have was too big. I ended up screwing it to the back of drivers side back seat. It looks nice but if you can find an amp to fit in the spare tire compartment (without removing the spare tire) that would work.

Amp power and ground. This was a little tricky. The battery has a nice terminal where you can bolt on the power wire. I mounted the fuse to a sheet metal bracket you can see when you take the battery cover off. Running the power wire was a little tricky. Open the hood and on the passenger side firewall you will see a small plug next to where the main wire bundle goes through the firewall. I had to remove the plastic cover that sits across the front of the windshield and under the windshield wipers. I had to take the windshield wipers off and remove four or five plastic snaps to get it off but it was fairly easy. This allow you to route the power wire from the battery and reach the grommet on the firewall. The grommet is about 3/4 of an inch in diameter - I cut an x in it and feed it onto my power wire (I use 4 guage from home depot). Thread the wire through the hole downward and you will see it come out in the passenger compartment behind the glovebox. From there I simply routed the wire by tucking it under the plastic trim along the floor carpet.

For the ground I attached to one of the screws that mount the stock subwoofer to the chassis.

For the sub - I just bought one (a nice Kicker) in a sealed enclosure and sat iit behind the passenger side rear seat.

I did have an issue - not sure if it was related to the install. I kept getting a low battery warning on the radio and the car would not start. Try to start it again and fine. Dealer upgraded the firmware in the car and this correctred the problem

OVerall it turned out nice and I can control the sub level from the stock radio.

Quick Reply: Stock Alpine Audio System with Subwoofer: AMP + Sub install?