LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 LR3 HSE - Transmission Issues w/ 65000miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 LR3 HSE - Transmission Issues w/ 65000miles

HI

I have 2006 LR3 HSE and 2 times in the past week seems like the transmission is slipping. When I came to a complete stop and then went to hit the gas, it seemed like it didnt want to go for a few seconds. The last time I even notice that the screen that tells you if your in P R N D showed nothing and then when it started to move the D appeared. Anyone with a similiar stituation. I took it to a mechanic already but the check engine lightwas not on and has never gone on but they check the Transmission Computer and no message. They also took it for a ride and all seems well.

Last edited by cmpintosantos; 05-20-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 05-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It sounds more like linkage issues than transmission issues specifically. It sounds like depending on your mileage you might also consider changing up your differential and transfer case fluids, and see how they look as well.

These issues are getting more common.

Scenario 1.

problems when braking or stopping at intersections, when pulling away the car would rev highly as if in neutral ,moving the gearshift away from drive and back in would drive ok.

Replace the lever ,bush and a spring washer that goes between the lever and the bush, very easy job. I marked the position of the original lever on the rod with nail varnish and also measured it from end of rod as backup. gearshift now glides into positions freely without dropping out of gear, and you can feel the difference.part numbers for some of the parts are

Scenario 2.
A few days ago I noticed that I couldn't get command shift to work but it seemed ok when I restarted the car. Today SWMBO got stuck in a car park only able to select PRN no D no command shift. She rang me for advice and didn't seem too pleased when I suggested she reverse the six miles home with our six month old screaming in the back! While I was looking for LR assist's number she clarted on for a while and managed to get into Drive. I tried it out when she got home and sure enough you can only get into Drive if you whack the selector fully back and even then a slight nudge will knock it out of gear. Is this something I can easily fix (like a loose easily accessible switch) or would LR assist come out as I don't really want to drive it to the dealers in case it jumps out of gear on the A1 and I can't get it back in gear.

You may be able to at least loosen things up, while you wait for the parts, with some WD40, etc. Probably make taking it apart easier as well.

LR012704 LEVER 5.11
TZT500040 BUSH 6.36
WYH000040 NUT 0.75
Bolt (haven't found p/n yet
Spring Washer (haven't found p/n yet

give bush fitting a good coating in never seize compound.

Some HOW to pictures..
DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Autobox Gear Lever pivot - How To

when you call and get the other part numbers, etc. post them up.

Last edited by unseenone; 05-21-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great find on that linkage link. Good one to bookmark. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:59 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip! Will this be expensive to fix?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

If you read through the information, it is probably less than 20.00 in parts, plus your labor if you are going to do it yourself. Of course if you take it to a dealer, it will cost at least 200. I suggest you obtain the parts, and take the printed instructions to an independent repair shop if you don't intend to fix it yourself.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:32 PM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 06 LR3 just turned 113k miles and started intermittently slipping. At first when it was put in Drive but later when slowing down for a stop. It seemed to work fine in "command shift" mode but as time passed it stopped working as well. Funny thing, as others have mentioned, reverse worked fine. Needless to say, it was perplexing but an internet search opened my eyes to several possible causes. My inclination was a transmission filter and fluid change might be in order and after pricing it out I decided to use the Atlantic British LR3 Filter pan conversion kit. Their video made it seem straight forward enough but because of many little nuisances, it took far longer to do the work than was expected. Time lapse photograph really makes it look easy. Took me 6 hrs. in my driveway and that's working straight through. Lots of hard to reach bolts needing modified tooling as well as jacking up the transmission an inch or so. The new pan and filter are very precise and fit perfectly. Refilled it with Amsoil transmission fluid and ran it through the gears, works perfect---Problem Solved!

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (09-24-2018)