LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment & Inside Wear on Front Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment & Inside Wear on Front Tires

My 2006 LR3 SE is already on it's 2nd set of the stock Goodyear tires. When I brought it in for service at 18K, I mentioned to my advisor how disappointed I was in the durabiltiy of tires, as the insides of the front and rear tires were really worn off compared to the outsides. Since I had paid LR to align and rotate at 12K, they were willing to purchase 3 of 4 new tires for me if I would agree to pay for another alighment. They said they had a new camber setting or something that would take care of this known problem.

I took them up on thier offer, but now at 30K miles, the inside edges of my fronts are cupped and worn off just like the first set. The rears have worn on the insides too, but not as bad. Not suprisingly, now the dealer is not offering any additional incentives other than rotating the tires for me and suggesting I have another alignment, for the price of only $149. There is no new camber setting on this alignment compared to the one I had done at 18K.

These last 12K miles I have put on the car are 80% highway at 65-75 MPH,and the rest down well paved suburban streets. I have not had it off road, nor have I hit any potholes of any significant size (the dealer suggested that I might have hit a curb or pothole and thrown off the alignmment some, although they say the alignment is not currently even "out", only that they could make it better for $149).

Do any of you others experience similiar tire wear problems? I've never seen anything like it, especially on a truck. I had a BMW 335 a few years ago that I thought went through Z rated tires quickly, but nothing like this (the BMW wore the tires evenly, like most other vehicals I have). I know the Goodyear tires are certainly not the best from all the other forum posts, but even a top quality tire would not last if only running on the edges. The dealer tells me everone else gets 30K on the tires, but I can't see how.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Alignment & Inside Wear on Front Tires

just replace your tires the goodyears are junk i am supprised the dealer even replaced them with goodyears. the dealer i go to dose not even replace them with goodyears.
even if you hit a pot hole it wont throw off your alignment off tht much i live in northern mich where the good roads are loaded with pot holes and those that don't have pot holes are dirt and they are like a washboard. on those we slow down to 45 or 50 mph
in the forums if you are going to take it offroad and want a tire for that check out the forums on the guys who have them. i replaced mine with more of a road tire
and i got the avons and have been verry happy with them. they have been excellent on ice, deep snow not alot of mud yet the ground is still hard and frozen.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Winching

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums...ead.php?t=4973
some thoughts for you

Old 02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Factory Goodyear H/P's are evil. Never get another set. There's lots of great choices as posted in other treads for much better tires for the LR3.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the tread life warranty on the tires? Shouldn't they be covered by this? Or will they say the uneven wear is from improper maintenance?

Old 02-28-2008, 06:34 AM
Winching

I just had a thought. We alll know the Good Years are junk. But if you look at your LR3 with the suspension in the acces mode your tires angle in. So if you drive around in that mode alot like when at the mall looking for parking spaces your tires are going to have a tendency to wear that way. Then again how many miles are loged in looking for a parking space? I know if I have the kids and my wife, we tend to drop the suspension when pulling into a store parking lot since it is nice for straping and unstraping the hoodlums. Somthing to pay attention to.
I am in no way defending the Good Years, but since they wear so fast that is why this kind of wear is noticable so quickly. I know whenI junked mine right afterI bought it they were all worn that way. Somthig that rotating your tires won't slow down as well.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After reading my first post about how sorry the H/Ps were and how they tended to cupp excesively, I took my truck for a check. At 5,000 miles the service department told me that I was already showing signs of cupping. I had an off road fiasco not long after that (read STUCK) that got me to get rid of those aweful tires once and for all and 25,000 mileslater, the problem seems to have stopped with the better tires. I seriously think it's just a REALLY bad tire/vehicle combination on the part of Land Rover.