LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Installed an ARB Rear Locker on LR3

Old 03-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Installed an ARB Rear Locker on LR3

I heard that ARB has a rear locker available for LR3, anyone installed one yet? Would appreciate any input available, Thanks ARB RD218 Land Rover Air Locker LR3 Rear

Last edited by bclayt; 03-25-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Hadn't seen this. Cheaper than the OE locker, that's for sure!

...I need one for the FRONT!

Old 03-25-2015, 01:46 PM
Overlanding

Ya, I am not sure how many LR3 owners know this yet. This is the final answer to all the LR3 owners without HD package. I have been looking for an LR3 equipped with HD package with no luck in Southern CA., time to hunt my perfect 2008 HSE with color & options!!!

Old 03-25-2015, 02:36 PM
Camel Trophy

Might be a good answer for those with the HD package that blow up their rear diffs too! It's a lot cheaper; and probably more durable as the OE unit holds about a thimble of oil in it. The OE one is nice though with its electronic, integrated operation.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:02 PM
Overlanding

Excellent point houm_wa. When I find my 2008 HSE I will install a rear ARB & save save save for front also, just imagine complete lockup with center lock & TC, WOW! What a setup

Old 03-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Yes, but keep in mind that you also have to purchase an air compressor (and perhaps reservoir?) and find a place to mount it. Also, I don't know, but is the ARB locker an entire self contained differential or is it just a piece of hardware that you install inside your current open differential (more likely)? Probably still cheaper than purchasing a locking diff from LR and a locking motor and selling your old diff, but not as big of a difference as it seems at first.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:17 PM
Overlanding

Yes you make a good point, ARB Locker $1050.00 / ARB Compressor $299.00 / Installation $ 500.00, $2000.00 adventure. I think this is about half the cost of an LR rear diff with accuator motor & gives LR3 owners without HD package a great option for themselves to do what the LR3 was intended to do, 2/3 Offroad & 1/3 Onroad!

Old 03-25-2015, 08:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

I hate threads like this... Now I'm going to start dreaming about installing a locking front diff, which I'll never be able to afford. . Sigh... Not necessary, but I'd really like to see what it's capable of when fully locked.

The following users liked this post:
liviup (12-15-2023)
Old 03-25-2015, 09:12 PM
Overlanding

SORRY ABOUT THAT!!!!!!!!!!! By the way this ARB Locker is installed hardware to current non HD Diff & the compressor will run front & rear same time. After reading all these depressing posts for the last years that there is no option unless HD package & looking to the ends of the earth especially out here in SoCAL (Mall Buggies), I finally can pull the trigger on a LR3!

In Life All We Can Do Is Dream & Go To Work To Supply Them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2015, 04:29 PM
Camel Trophy

I have a compressor mounted for tires and such. It's mounted in the driver's side cubby in the boot. I don't have a third row or 2nd row climate control (both by choice) so that's made life easy in terms of real estate for add-on stuff and dealing with the body join in the wheel well where bigger tires rub.

As for a front locker, I like to joke about it but I'm not sure how much help it'd really be. I mean with a rear locker and 4ETC would a locker up front really add that much more capability? If it were open front versus locker then yes I'd say it would be significant, but going from a Traction-Control front to a locker it's not gonna do much. Remember that if it's an E-locker it's probably going to turn itself off if you're in a turn, anyway, which makes its use-case pretty limited.

HD Package is nice. Turns out it needs a lot of maintenance (I'm on my 3rd or 4th rear diff, sad that I've lost count) but yes it's tough to find. I bought my LR3 nearly 10 years ago; ordered it and waited. It was a luxury to be able to do that...and checking the box for the $600 "HD Package" was a no-brainer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Installed an ARB Rear Locker on LR3