LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I add the navigation system to my LR3

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations for search keywords or links to specific threads?

Old 11-22-2016, 08:27 PM
Overlanding

Am trying to also add factory nav to my se. This thread is old and I can't open pix. Would love any part numbers esp wiring harness to make this install. Incredibly hard to find info On this I guess BBC it's really a bad idea. Please help.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:24 AM
Mudding
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

The results (OEM Nav) dont justify the effort/cost. It was pretty bad nav solution and not sure Land Rover is even made nav map updates since 2008.

Waze and google maps is 10,000 times better! I would recommend something like this:

but with this head unit:
10.1 inch 2 DIN Universal 1024*600 Touchscreen Android 5.0.1 radio GPS Navigation System with WIFI 4G Bluetooth Music USB OBD2 AUX Radio Backup Camera Steering Wheel Control

I did a seicane headunit in my Cayenne and its pretty amazing. Basically an android tablet with a am/fm radio grafted in. The porsche seicane deck integrated with steering wheel controls, most fiber amps, and even the can bus dash display right out of the box. I dont see a land rover specific model, but it would be worth contacting them...

The following 2 users liked this post by morrisdl:
Andy_R (06-11-2020), Ham803 (07-27-2020)
Old 02-28-2017, 11:29 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Android capable GPS head units.

Any idea if these Android head units can run the IID tool app (bluetooth of course)?

Originally Posted by morrisdl
The results (OEM Nav) dont justify the effort/cost. It was pretty bad nav solution and not sure Land Rover is even made nav map updates since 2008.

Waze and google maps is 10,000 times better! I would recommend something like this:

but with this head unit:
10.1 inch 2 DIN Universal 1024*600 Touchscreen Android 5.0.1 radio GPS Navigation System with WIFI 4G Bluetooth Music USB OBD2 AUX Radio Backup Camera Steering Wheel Control

I did a seicane headunit in my Cayenne and its pretty amazing. Basically an android tablet with a am/fm radio grafted in. The porsche seicane deck integrated with steering wheel controls, most fiber amps, and even the can bus dash display right out of the box. I dont see a land rover specific model, but it would be worth contacting them...

Old 03-22-2017, 09:50 AM
8th Gear
Default How did you fabricate a housing?

Originally Posted by Airstream345
Sure, it's a Garmin Nuvi 65 LM. I bought mine from Fry's Electronics as a refurb - sort of on a whim actually as I was there for something else and just happen notice the GPS's size and thought "hey this looks like it'll fit right into the cubby on the LR3". I unboxed it in the parking lot, popped it in and viola! It fit perfectly.

They also offer a LMT version which has traffic data and re-routing.

Garmin nuvi 65LM 6" GPS Navigator with Free Lifetime Map Updates - Walmart.com

Garmin nuvi 65LMT 6" GPS Navigator with Free Lifetime Map and Traffic Updates - Walmart.com

The GPS just slides in and sits within the cubby. I eventually plan drill a hole and re-route the power cable behind the dash, etc but it's working as is.

Next step is to add the wireless back up camera to make back-in and parallel parking around the city a little easier.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod501486.html

For me this was a a good cheap way to add reliable GPS to the LR. We were using iPhones but out here when you get into the Cascades or the more remote areas or islands of the PNW cell coverage can get pretty spotty.
Can you advise on how you fabricated a housing for the GPS to make it look factory installed?

Old 01-13-2020, 07:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to bring back a 13-year-old thread, but I am in the middle of this install now and wanted to see if the pictures of Iduoooo's install can be refreshed (I would email iduooo directly but I'm a new user and don't have those privileges on the forum). Yes, aftermarket nav install is easier, but I want the 4x4 info screen. I have acquired the required components, though I plan to attempt to add only the missing wiring connections versus wholesale replacement of the harnesses (I have no wiring issues, so I don't really want to replace 1,000 feet of wiring in 2 full harnesses if I don't have to). I am looking for pictures of wiring routing to assist with my install if Iduooo is still on these forums. Thx

Old 06-11-2020, 11:52 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by morrisdl

but with this head unit:

Can you give some details on the bezel? I would be thrilled to replace my current radio/CD with something like this. A couple of my buttons have broken (AM and another one I don't recall) and it's going to cost me $200 to replace the button panel. I'd rather spend a little more and get a screen that will support a backup cam and and some other options.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:51 AM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy_R
Can you give some details on the bezel? I would be thrilled to replace my current radio/CD with something like this. A couple of my buttons have broken (AM and another one I don't recall) and it's going to cost me $200 to replace the button panel. I'd rather spend a little more and get a screen that will support a backup cam and and some other options.

Hello Andy. I just replaced my LR3 stock base radio.
I used the Metra 95-9404B Double DIN Radio Dash Install Kit For Select Land Rover 2005-2012. It mounts the Kenwood EXCELON DDX6906S very securely. I spliced the LR3 harness into the Kenwood harness fairly easily. The only mod needed was some plastic removed from the back of where the new stereo rests. The Kenwood with the RCA cables coming off the back for the under seat sub were bunching up not letting it lock in place. The XM module rests below the ac vent just to the right of the stereo. It all fits in there behind the dash molding.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:52 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Motoprophet

Hello Andy. I just replaced my LR3 stock base radio.
I used the Metra 95-9404B Double DIN Radio Dash Install Kit For Select Land Rover 2005-2012. It mounts the Kenwood EXCELON DDX6906S very securely. I spliced the LR3 harness into the Kenwood harness fairly easily. The only mod needed was some plastic removed from the back of where the new stereo rests. The Kenwood with the RCA cables coming off the back for the under seat sub were bunching up not letting it lock in place. The XM module rests below the ac vent just to the right of the stereo. It all fits in there behind the dash molding.
Thanks for the details. Perhaps more than I want to spend on a radio right now, but it looks like an excellent upgrade, esp with a backup camera.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:08 PM
1st Gear
Default LR3 Nav 2020

Originally Posted by scooterforever
Sorry to bring back a 13-year-old thread, but I am in the middle of this install now and wanted to see if the pictures of Iduoooo's install can be refreshed (I would email iduooo directly but I'm a new user and don't have those privileges on the forum). Yes, aftermarket nav install is easier, but I want the 4x4 info screen. I have acquired the required components, though I plan to attempt to add only the missing wiring connections versus wholesale replacement of the harnesses (I have no wiring issues, so I don't really want to replace 1,000 feet of wiring in 2 full harnesses if I don't have to). I am looking for pictures of wiring routing to assist with my install if Iduooo is still on these forums. Thx
Scooterfovever, where you able to figure it out? I would love to try on my 2005 LR3 SE.