LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get my trailer hitch off

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Can't get my trailer hitch off

I have one of the those landrover hitches (Snowplow one) and I can't remove it. The key turns fine and I can pull the green dial thing out. I just can't turn it.

I remember it use to be easy to get off. Any tricks to getting this thing to turn?

Old 07-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Nokian: WRG2 or the WRG3

I'm not sure what I want to do for my next set.

My spare is a 19" LR3 OEM rim So probably be wise to stick with 19" rims. If I get say 18" and like nitto grapplers or Nokians would that not be good to drive on a 19" spare with 18" rims on the rest of the car?

To save space in my garage I'm thinking of just getting 19" Nokian WRG2 or the new WRG3 for year rounds. They are suppose to be better than most dedicated snow tires yet can take the heat of summers.

I live in michigan and really don't do much real off roading. So snow/ice is probably more important. Having 4 more sets of rims just adds complexity to the equation and I like ez.

I have Perelli zeros now and they are pretty good for year round use except they not great on ice and snow. Don't stop all that well and the grip in snow is probably less than I would like. I've not been stuck but did slide pretty far on a few stops.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Wiggle it, and screw around with it. Be sure the key is in the right position. It should come loose, also try lifting up on it while trying to get it loose. The metal pin is probably stuck/pinched.

Crappy design, hopefully I'll have something better soon.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:39 AM
Rock Crawling

The manual says.

1. Put key in and turn to unlock position (this works)
2. Pull out green **** and turn it counter clockwise. It does pull out but no turn.

Does it snap or make a pop sound when you pull it out? I pull it out and there is no click or pop. I can't remember if it did. Just wondering if it needs to be pulled out further before I try to turn it.

I'll spay some WD40 on the pin to get it to slip out.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

You can also try tapping it with a small hammer, the vibration will help break it loose from the vibration.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default if all else fails...

if all else fails, hit it with a hammer and use a big pair of pliers to turn the ****. I figure the previous owner of mine did a lot of towing, because I couldn't get mine out either. Once it came free, I had a bit of fixing to do. Still not perfect, but it works and hasn't fallen off. Picture shows the inner workings of the thing, not too bad to get back together if nothing is broken.

Attached Thumbnails Can't get my trailer hitch off-lr-hitch.jpg  
Old 07-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine clicked on bench and had to dismantle to use it. Cleaned and greased and works like new. If you take apart just think a bit to put it back together, had to get the teeth right.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks, nice photo.

They make a newer one that is shorter, does not hang down as much but I wonder if it would hit the full size spare. Mine fits under the spare with maybe a inch to spare. I'd have to look at the newer one but wondering if it would hit the spare. Maybe that is why its so low to clear the full size spare.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Exploring interest in this new hitch, looking for thoughts, interest and feedback.

http://www. disco3. co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=11463&pos=0

Old 10-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

link no good

Quick Reply: Can't get my trailer hitch off