LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 LR3 SE transmission/gear like clunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 LR3 SE transmission/gear like clunk

I keep getting this gear shift like clunk at stop signs, feels like something is shifting back and fwd. Tranni been serviced and no issued was found, front suspention looks great. The clunking is coming I recon from transfer case area.
Any ideas?

Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I know you said the front suspension looks great, but it sounds like a classic case of the front bushings being bad. What year is your LR3 and how many miles do you have? Does the clunking also happen when you go slowly over speed bumps and potholes? Tapping on the brakes is while driving slowly is also another way to check the front bushings.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by hell pie
I know you said the front suspension looks great, but it sounds like a classic case of the front bushings being bad. What year is your LR3 and how many miles do you have? Does the clunking also happen when you go slowly over speed bumps and potholes? Tapping on the brakes is while driving slowly is also another way to check the front bushings.
Thank you for your time replying to my post!

It is 05 LR3 SE 114000mi,
-alignment done recently and no problem was found, suspention looks good, I also never had it off road.
Transmission filter/fluid done every 50 000mi, shifts very smooth
engine/tranni software upgrade done 1 month ago.
Clunking occures on a very low speeds with acceleration, i can feel bumpy noise it is really feels like bad tranni gears shift back and fwd back and fwd. And at first i thought it was a tranni shifting from 1st to 2nd, but i kept LR in first gear only on sport and started to accelerate and breaking and there it is again. checket u joint on the very back, seems fine. The only thing i can think of is transfer case..
Dealer told me to drop it off for a day, im wondering if they going to charge me if i ask them not to fix anything w/o letting me know whats the problem is

Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vetalbig
Thank you for your time replying to my post!

It is 05 LR3 SE 114000mi,
-alignment done recently and no problem was found, suspention looks good, I also never had it off road.
Transmission filter/fluid done every 50 000mi, shifts very smooth
engine/tranni software upgrade done 1 month ago.
Clunking occures on a very low speeds with acceleration, i can feel bumpy noise it is really feels like bad tranni gears shift back and fwd back and fwd. And at first i thought it was a tranni shifting from 1st to 2nd, but i kept LR in first gear only on sport and started to accelerate and breaking and there it is again. checket u joint on the very back, seems fine. The only thing i can think of is transfer case..
Dealer told me to drop it off for a day, im wondering if they going to charge me if i ask them not to fix anything w/o letting me know whats the problem is
They can't do any work without your authorization. But they can charge for diagnostic services. My experience has been something to the effect of, " your Xxxxxx is broken and needs replacing. That'll be $100 for the shop time and computer flash, but if you have us fix it here, we'll waive the diagnosis fee."

Let us know what they say

Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

There is an excellent series of videos, which will help you identify the precise location of such sounds, very very entertaining. You can find them here, open up in a new browser window, and view all the videos by the user. find them here.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Drifting

I think i found a problem! how much play there should be in the rear driveshaft support bearing in the middle? I pulled it up and down and there is about an inch and a half of play, doesnt seem normal! could this possibly cause a clunky noise?

Old 10-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another possible thing to check are the control arm bolts in the rear. I had an annoying clunking, which I thought was from rear end cv's or driveshaft, but it turned out that the suspension bolts were a little loose back there.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Drifting

Tranni KAPUT! Traded in for a new toyota RAV 4
RIP LR3