LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting to Bluetooth Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to Bluetooth Radio

Does anyone know if it's possible toupgrade tohave the bluetooth feature just by installing a radio that has bluetooth or is there a lot more to it?

Old 04-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Converting to Bluetooth Radio

there is a lot more then just the radio. well, not that much more, but not the radio at all. its a seperate module that does the bluetooth, and its on your fiber optic most ring. in reality, all you need is that module, a way to splice the fiber optic, power and ground, and a microphone that should have its connector already there. the tought part is goin to be the fiber optic splice, however a good audio shop should be able to take care of this

[/align]

Old 04-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt swap out the radio it will void your warrantee since it is tied into the ecu from what i was told
you may want to check that out before having someone rip out the radio i beleve some gps are blue tooth campatable

Old 04-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: roverguy7

there is a lot more then just the radio. well, not that much more, but not the radio at all. its a seperate module that does the bluetooth, and its on your fiber optic most ring. in reality, all you need is that module, a way to splice the fiber optic, power and ground, and a microphone that should have its connector already there. the tought part is goin to be the fiber optic splice, however a good audio shop should be able to take care of this

[/align]
Is the module you are talking about able to be purchased seperately from the radio? I know someone whois sellinga head unit from a Bluetooth equiped LR3 and I was considering purchasing it so that I could convert my LR3. If the module is part of the radio then I would still buy it and use the module.
I'm also wondering how I would answer calls without the steering wheel control?

Old 04-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Pro Wrench

dont go this route. there is no need to replace the radio, as long as its the 6 disc version, it is compatable with the blue tooth module, and yeah, forgot to add the wheel controlls on what youll need. but anyway, there is an aftermarket fit that you can buy, plugs right in and exactly like the factory unit. go to your dealer and ask them about it, only differenc in opperation from the factory fit one, is phone compatability, its a different list.

[/align]

Old 04-21-2008, 03:46 AM
Three Wheeling

Hey Fanatic,

I was going to go the Bluetooth route by purchasing the kit for the LR3 from my local dealer and having it installed, until I found out it was around $1200.00. Replacing the radio is not an option unless youre ready to spend thousands to a custom car audio shop for removing or bypassing the factory amp, running all new wires to all speakers, and custom fabricating a fiberglass dash panel.
Trust me, I used to custom install radios, alarms, remote starts, and sat navs for 10 years. The LR3 is no joke to work on and I doubt you can beat the H/K system without spending big dough.

My wife's 08 HSE LR2 has the bluetooth on the steering wheel and is integrated with the factory radio, but to be honest, the $80 Motorola bluetooth speaker that clips on to my visor sounds better.

Its up to you though. $80 or $1200.00 plus installation for a little **** on your steering wheel

Feels good to ride on my 22's again lookin mean, how bout you?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: roverguy7

dont go this route. there is no need to replace the radio, as long as its the 6 disc version, it is compatable with the blue tooth module, and yeah, forgot to add the wheel controlls on what youll need. but anyway, there is an aftermarket fit that you can buy, plugs right in and exactly like the factory unit. go to your dealer and ask them about it, only differenc in opperation from the factory fit one, is phone compatability, its a different list.

[/align]
If there is an aftermarket unit that plugs right in do I need to go to the dealer for it? Is it available anywhere else or do you have any additional info so that I can research it?
Reason I ask is that I have a good friend who owns a car audio installation shop. He's real good and can install anything i want for a fraction of what the dealer charges. He was able to get a remote start unit to work on my LR3 (not easy) and was able to convert all windows to one touch up and down (even harder). I know these trucks are not easy to work on electronically, but I am just exploring my options.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: irocdaparty

Hey Fanatic,

I was going to go the Bluetooth route by purchasing the kit for the LR3 from my local dealer and having it installed, until I found out it was around $1200.00. Replacing the radio is not an option unless youre ready to spend thousands to a custom car audio shop for removing or bypassing the factory amp, running all new wires to all speakers, and custom fabricating a fiberglass dash panel.
Trust me, I used to custom install radios, alarms, remote starts, and sat navs for 10 years. The LR3 is no joke to work on and I doubt you can beat the H/K system without spending big dough.

My wife's 08 HSE LR2 has the bluetooth on the steering wheel and is integrated with the factory radio, but to be honest, the $80 Motorola bluetooth speaker that clips on to my visor sounds better.

Its up to you though. $80 or $1200.00 plus installation for a little **** on your steering wheel

Feels good to ride on my 22's again lookin mean, how bout you?
[align=left][/align]
I just can't believe how a clip on speaker from motorola could sound better than listening to the call through the factory HK speakers. My friend showed me one of the motorola unitswhere the speaker mounts under the dash and you have a small wired remote to answer the calls with. I'm just real hung up on having aftermarket crap hanging around the interior.I would really prefer that it was a seamless install like the factory offers. It's probably more trouble than its worthanyway. I dunno.

Why haven't you been rolling on the big dogs? Do you remove them for the winter? I ride the deuces allyear round!

Old 04-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Pro Wrench

yeah, bassicly plugs right in, i dont see any erason a good audio guy would have a problem with it, however, with it being a landrover part, i believe the dealership is where youll be lookin for it.

[/align]