LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration and chattering noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration and chattering noise

I read some other threads about front end noise when the wheels are turned fully to either side. The remedy seems to be the tie rods which I replaced both inner and outer on both sides. And the "wheel stops" which I am unaware of. Now the noise, which is a vicious vibrating chatter, only occurs on the left side while backing. Occasionally it occurs on the right but it's minor as opposed to the left which sounds like the wheel is going to come off. Does my description sound like the wheel stops? And if so where are they, what lube do I use? I'll throw another symptom in there, My steering is seriously heavy. The wheel doesn't return to center after a turn on it's own even after alignment was done. Any help is always appreciated.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

No. That does not sound like the turn stop. The turn stop will give you a brief, albeit loud and alarming, screetch(imagine Wolverine and a chalkboard) but will not effect anything else.

Your description sounds like you have play in the wheel bearings. Lift each front wheel, and see if there is any play with your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock. I would do this before you drive the vehicle at all, as with this(unlikely as it is, unless it is extremely bad) worst case is the wheel falling off the vehicle.

Replacement is the entire hub assembly, but it is not that bad of a job.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Three Wheeling

This only happens in reverse and when the wheels are turned to the extreme left. I'm going to lift the 3 tomorrow and check for play. Are there any special Land Rover tools required for replacing the hub assembly? The shop manual specifies some but are they just common tools I can get as loaners? Also, your feelings on shop cost vs. impending headache and bruised knuckles analysis.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Is the heavy steering also only in R? Could be the steering column U-Joint.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Three Wheeling

No the steering is heavy at all times. Under "Campaigns" in SDD reflash of the transmission is indicated. I'm getting the midtronics battery charger/tender as recommended in another thread soon in order to perform the reflash because when I disconnected the negative terminal in the course of other repairs it seemed to have resolved that issue for a short period.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Hub is straight forward, use necessary care when removing the axle stub from the hub splines, but usually doesn't take much effort to do so.