LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostic tools?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 07:04 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnostic tools?

Just upgraded from a Discovery to an '09 LR3. Looking for advice on diagnostic tools. I think I'm leaning towards the nanocom evolution. Anyone use this on their LR3? Does it work well? Is there another brand on the market for diagnosis that is capable of the same range of updates for the vehicle?

Old 06-20-2014, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I've used hawkeye and nanocom. I like the nanocom better.

I've not used the iidtool, but people seem to like it.

The nanocom can be used on any vehicle of the same type you have a license for. So I can use it on both of my LR3 with one license and I also have a license for D2, and I've used it on a few of those.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I don't know much about the nanocom, but I can't say enough good things about the IID tool or GAP Diagnostics support in general. The IID tools does everything I need and a lot more, plus when I screw things up, GAP support is there to lead me through steps in order to determine where I was an idiot. Reading/clearing fault codes, flashing ECUs, editing the CCF, reading live values for tons of different components and tinkering with the EAS are just a few of the things you can do with the tool. Plus, they have just released an updated ipad/iphone/ipad mini app that displays great graphs of live values. In the very near future, they are supposed to deploy a firmware update that allows Nav on the Move (for an additional fee I think...).

I honestly don't think their webpage is the greatest at describing what you can do with the tool, so if you have any questions, you're welcome to shoot me a PM or, by all means, e-mail them @ support@gap-diagnostic.com. They're very responsive.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to apologize in advance for the long post but I may be one of the few on here who purchased tools from both companies. I used a Black Box Solutions Nanocom Evolution for my Discovery II and I have a GAP Diagnostics IIDTool BT for my LR3. I don't work for either company but in the interest of full disclosure I have done beta testing for the IIDTool BT.

I think that both products are well-designed and easy to use; how and where you plan to use the tool will determine which you buy. I wanted a tool small enough to keep in the vehicle and self-contained (no PC or other device required) in case I need to use it while on a trip.

The reason I switched from one to the other was the ability to monitor live data without having a wire draped in the cabin. I also liked the concept of using the IIDTool stand-alone via a simple interface (cruise control switches and instrument cluster display) or via a detailed touch screen interface (app with Bluetooth connection).

For working on the vehicle in a controlled environment (not on the side of a road or trail) both have a lot of features for diagnostics, testing, Car Configuration File (CCF) changes, etc. I can tell you that the IIDTool BT definitely does allow you to add a VIN-matched key to an LR3, so I didn't have to pay my dealer $150 for a 45-second procedure. The IIDTool also permits updating the CCF and firmware on various ECUs in stand-alone mode.

The licensing for the Nanocom Evolution is more generous: use it on any vehicle in the range you buy, any LR3 as an example. Per an email regarding the latest firmware and app, the IIDTool licensing includes a new, less-restrictive VIN lock policy:

"Standard diagnostic functions (IIDTool BT: free of charge on any supported vehicles, L322, L319 and L320)
• Fault read / clear
• Live values
• Control outputs
• Service / test functions

Enhanced diagnostic functions (one free VIN, extra VINs are available from your Britpart dealer at around 60 GBP):
• ECU Re-flash
• Component and system calibration (steering angle sensor calibration etc)
• Advanced functions including backup / restore, save profiles – vehicle system settings and configurations are read and stored as a backup file for a restore function, various changes to systems (e.g. suspension height) can be stored and changed quickly"

I hope this helps and I'll do my best to answer questions if I can.

-Rob

Last edited by SoCal Rob; 06-21-2014 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Removed redundant info since cmb6s posted while I composed my novella
The following users liked this post:
jwalk1995 (08-07-2017)
Old 06-21-2014, 01:59 PM
6th Gear
Default Price

To my knowledge the nanocom evolution is about $580.00US. Does anyone have pricing info on the IID Tool BT?

Old 06-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Blackbox fairly regularly has sales. I think around Christmas time? I got mine for 20% off I think.

No clue on the iidtool.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Three Wheeling

I bought my IIDTool BT from Lucky8 where they are selling for $768. The Nanocom is definitely less expensive.

-Rob

Old 06-21-2014, 07:35 PM
6th Gear
Default nanocom price

The price is a selling point. The interface on the nanocom looked more user friendly as well. If you want GUI on the IID you have to have your own blue tooth phone or Ipad. Am I understanding that correctly?

thanks for all the great advice

Old 06-22-2014, 09:44 AM
Three Wheeling

Yes, for the IIDTool you need a tablet or smartphone connected to have a GUI

Regarding ease of use, I'd rank them from best to worst as:

1. IIDTool BT GUI on iPad*
2. IIDTool BT GUI on iPhone*
3. Nanocom Evolution GUI
4. IIDTool via in-dash display and cruise control buttons

* I don't have another type of phone or tablet so I cannot comment on what it's like running on an Android device.

-Rob

Old 06-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Hmmm, not sure why the price of the IID tool is so high over here. When I purchased mine last fall, I got it for around $550 (the Bluetooth version). I think you can still get it for that price from Island 4x4.

Also, FYI, I believe GAP is releasing software for the laptop as well. I'm not sure what the timeframe is for that, but it should provide the same functionality as you get on the iPad right now, but on a laptop w/Bluetooth instead.

Quick Reply: Diagnostic tools?