LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does an LR3 fit my needs/lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

You better buy it with some insane good warrenty that covers everything including a rental cause one electrical issue or as above diff failure and that's your entire months salary and it may be down several days /week waiting for part and repair

The only reason we. Can afford ours is I bought it cash and do my own work, gas mileage is poor not as advertised

Need to disclose your area it also makes a difference in types of repairs to expect, you talk about snow if they salt heavy in your area expect rust issues with brakes, lines, wiring etc.like all other cars but higher repair cost

Iirc one guy just bought an lr3 for $11 k , the p.o. spent over $15k in repairs last year documented so can you afford that on top of a payment, insurance, gas, and the rest of your bills in one year? That's prbly worst case scenario but have to think that way if its your only car

Old 02-24-2015, 04:28 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright Tom thanks anyways
I knew it would be difficult to me to handle it otherwise I wouldn't post anything on a blog for the first time. And thanks everyone for your advices but can you please help and advise which SUV could fit instead of the LR3 for now? An SUV with the same price range and capable in snow conditions as I explained?

Old 03-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Maybe a 4runner or fjcruiser. Much cheaper to operate but way less of the love factor you get with a land rover.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

There are so few true 4x4s out there anymore....

Old 03-03-2015, 11:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

second to everything everyone else has mentioned.

i can only think no, no, and no to an LR3 consideration. if this is your daily commuter, and your assuming better than 11 mpg in stop and go, then no. and that's just because of the fuel costs, not to mention what you will likely have to do to the truck once you take ownership to get it up to snuff for your specific desires/needs, if any.

you have to, imo, know these trucks are very tech heavy, very engineered to do what they are known to do. with that, they require a mindset that is not focused on luxury without capable rugged ability, and that usually means when something needs to be maintained OR repaired, there's a minimal charge to look under the hood and expect anywhere from $400 - $2000+ to repair, replace, mod, etc.

"my previous mercedes E and C class and can't get easily to love any japanese made car even though i know toyota may be an icon for reliability."

there are some extremely capable "japanese" cars that, with the right wheels and tires, will get you through snow just as well, if not better, as an LR3.

sounds like there might be more to research for what you need from your next vehicle.

check out forums for toyota rav4, 4runner, and jeeps.

Last edited by rovernoob; 03-04-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Camel Trophy

Maybe a little bit carried away to say that there is a Japanese 4x4 that can do better in snow than an LR3. Nothing against the Japanese makes, but I just don't see it. Not stock-for-stock and not similarly-equipped.

That said, I'd say the FJ Cruiser would be a good choice and I really like the Infiniti QX56; the NEW one build on the Nissan Patrol platform. That would be a luxury 4x4 that you can expect to be reliable as hell. Of course, the cost of admission is high; just like on the LR3, and the used market is not deep since it's a fairly new model.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Maybe a little bit carried away to say that there is a Japanese 4x4 that can do better in snow than an LR3. Nothing against the Japanese makes, but I just don't see it. Not stock-for-stock and not similarly-equipped.

That said, I'd say the FJ Cruiser would be a good choice and I really like the Infiniti QX56; the NEW one build on the Nissan Patrol platform. That would be a luxury 4x4 that you can expect to be reliable as hell. Of course, the cost of admission is high; just like on the LR3, and the used market is not deep since it's a fairly new model.

agreed, not stock for stock, but a combo japanese reliability (or any-less-costly-choice-than-LR3 reliability) PLUS better-than-LR3 mileage PLUS wheel/tire package and whatever else to meet the demands of op's daily commute (esp those 3 months in the winter)

Last edited by rovernoob; 03-04-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Camel Trophy

Fair enough.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:12 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rovernoob
second to everything everyone else has mentioned.

i can only think no, no, and no to an LR3 consideration. if this is your daily commuter, and your assuming better than 11 mpg in stop and go, then no. and that's just because of the fuel costs, not to mention what you will likely have to do to the truck once you take ownership to get it up to snuff for your specific desires/needs, if any.

you have to, imo, know these trucks are very tech heavy, very engineered to do what they are known to do. with that, they require a mindset that is not focused on luxury without capable rugged ability, and that usually means when something needs to be maintained OR repaired, there's a minimal charge to look under the hood and expect anywhere from $400 - $2000+ to repair, replace, mod, etc.

"my previous mercedes E and C class and can't get easily to love any japanese made car even though i know toyota may be an icon for reliability."

there are some extremely capable "japanese" cars that, with the right wheels and tires, will get you through snow just as well, if not better, as an LR3.

sounds like there might be more to research for what you need from your next vehicle.

check out forums for toyota rav4, 4runner, and jeeps.
Thank you and thanks everyone.
My second temporary choice to the LR3 was the toyota 4runner 2007 model, until I went personally to contact car sellers just to find out that this SUV is present in a very limited number in my country due to many concerns of reliability and its irrelevant class between the rav4 and prado. I hate Jeeps they really suck in all means, the only advantage they hold on is their cheap auto parts.
I must confess I may be really picky choosing any car...I think every benz owner experiences the same attitude of mine. I think my choices are now limited to keep on my heavy duty E class 4matic that takes me anywhere on road in any conditions, even through deep snow where many Jeeps and Pajeros get stuck in front of me...Until the time comes and be able to switch to LR3/LR4 the only SUV that convinced me in terms of price, luxury and capability.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:27 AM
Three Wheeling

imadazar, with only you knowing all the nuances of your circumstance (budget, daily commute, extracurricular road trips, do-it-yourself capabilities) it's good that you're getting all the research you can get about any car. don't give up, but definitely take your time and make sure your research has two categories: regularly scheduled maintenance costs AND potential repairs. this forum is full of advice on issues that are best to plan for as well as best preventative maintenance practices.

i find that sometimes the two get categories get clumped unfairly. what one owner may maintain well and has spent on maintenance, another may have spent double or triple on repair. though both may be pricey, relative to anyone starting their research, the preventative maintenance costs seem more likely linked to a well-cared for vehicle, while a repair might have dealt with an overt issue that has caused another underlying issue that has not yet shown signs of needing attention.

and then there are just some random things that happen...like the emergency parking brake throwing faults because the motor that activates it is toast, but, after manually disengaging the parking brake, the truck is fully operational. the only way for the fault to stop showing is to replace the motor. the truck senses a healthy motor and the fault can be cleared. that repair cost was close to your one month salary. i was told that there is no way to check the health of an epb motor if you buy a truck used. it's one of those parts that just breaks when it breaks.

i know i may be overthinking this, but i think that's just what we do here...over think and try to help out.

Last edited by rovernoob; 03-05-2015 at 06:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Does an LR3 fit my needs/lifestyle?