LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fobs not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fobs not working

I have a 2005 LR3.

Yesterday both of my key fobs stopped locking and unlocking the truck.

I used one regularly and when it stopped working, I tried the other and it also does not work. I drove around with the less used one in case the battery was depleted, but as of tonight, both fobs still do not work.

If this is a dealership issue, about how much am I looking at to fix it?

Old 01-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Did it rain recently in your area? Since both key fobs stopped working, my guess is that some water has gotten into the wiring loom on the passenger side, and corroded the connector for the remote.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:07 PM
4wd High

Actually yeah, I'm in Buffalo and it went from 10 degrees to 40 degrees and rainy when it stopped working.

Is that a common reason for this?

Old 01-22-2011, 03:37 AM
Mudding

Yes, water related corrosion is a common reason for the key fobs to both stop working. Check to see if the carpet is abnormally wet in the front passenger area. That will be the first telltale sign. If so, you will need to pull up the carpet to access a wiring loom that is under the door sill on the front passenger side. There are more detailed directions on this and other LR3 forums. Also, have you had your sunroof drains "circumcised"? That is an important first step in preventing water from getting into the vehicle.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:05 AM
2nd Gear

I have this happen to me last night, neither one of my FOBs are working. Any more details on how to get a better approach? I am a new owner of a LR3 SE 2006, and no warranty. Thanks

Old 03-22-2012, 04:24 AM
Mudding

Most auto parts stores can test your key fobs for free to verify they are actually working. That would be a good place to start. Based on the fact that both fobs are not working, I suspect the issue is with the car, but it would be wise to get the fobs tested first. The next thing I would do is to check the wiring loom that is hidden under the passenger door sill. If the loom is wet, you can be almost certain that the wiring that carries the remote signal has corroded. If memory serves me correct, it is a green wire with a white stripe. There will be a splice location with tape around it. Gently tugging at this spot will show that the splice has come undone. I soldered the wire back together and retaped it.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:02 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had the exact same problem happen to me after a major rain, but even worse: my car is locked and I cannot get in. That is, the remote on the key does not work and when try opening the door with the key manually, it does not work either. I have three keys, and none of them work, so I know it is not the key battery. THe car alarm light on the dash flashes, so I know it is not the car battery. The locksmith told me that no way for him to get in based on these facts, and even if we break the window, if the key wont work outside, the unlock mechanism wont work inside.

Any Suggestions??

If I break a window, will the key work to start the car? My guess is not.

ALso, a tow truck cannot get to me because I am in a mall parking lot with low ceilings.

HELP!!

The following users liked this post:
Ozz (11-13-2020)
Old 08-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default You can gain entry via the hidden key hole.

No, you do not have to break any glass - there is a hidden key hole behind the drivers door handle.

Get down on your knees, (LR likes that), and look at the underside of the door handle. You should see a rectangular slot the width and depth of the metal key bit that springs out from your keyfob.

Slide the metal bit up thru the slot - this releases the black plastic end cap which will fall off and reveal all.

Assuming the unlock mechanism is not frozen from lack of use, you will be able to mechanically unlock the drivers door. You have 12 seconds to insert they metal key into the steering wheel cylinder before the alarm goes off - not that that really matters.

Your truck will start but the lock / unlock functions will not work - at least the unlock. The problem will be most likely be corrosion related but that is another story. First get the truck out of the parkade and in the excitement, do not somehow raise it to off road height or there will be another concern.