LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post - Lower than "access height" possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:15 AM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First post - Lower than "access height" possible?

Hello, this is my first post and I will be receiving my new-to-me 2005 LR3 Monday. My dilemma is that I cannot fit my LR3 into my garage due to height, even in access mode. A friend of mine just got a RRS and had some device that plugs into the diagnostic port and he claimed he could adjust the suspension height. I am curious, is it possible to get the vehicle lower than access height, or is that truely the lowest the air suspension will go without modifications? I may be able to alter the garage opening to pick up another inch, but if there is an easier way to lower the vehicle, I would prefer that. Thanks for any assitance!

Old 08-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The short answer is no. At access height the vehicle is on the rubber bump stops it cannot go any lower. That must be a really low garage door. I would say that modifying the door, or potentially lowering the opening at ground level would be the option.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response. That's a shame if that's the case. The door is about 5'11", but to add complexity, the vehicle does not go straight into it, instead it goes in at a downward angle, which adds to the overall clearance needed.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default On the stops is possible as well as slightly above.

I am not so certain that access is as low as one can get the 3 without being on the stops.

Also if on the stops is low enough, then the link below will do that for you and bring you back up, all via a rotary **** inside the cabin.

The kit was developed by a guy in Australia, (the seller), for the purpose of keeping the 3 up above off road and keeping it there regardless of speed or lack of speed - like a creek crossing when down can be bad.

Over time, he has improved the kit to offer lower and stays there as well but that was not the original intension. I suggest you send him an email off his site; give him the height of your garage door in the email as well as model year, engine etc re your LR3 as there have been some software changes over the years.

His kits connect into the air suspension computer and have a few years of testing behind them now so for the most part, the bugs have been worked out. Price delivered is under six hundred US per the web site.

Llams PTY LTD

Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, thanks for the jinx.... Car has 1/4" clearance on bump stops with new roof rack fitted. To close for comfort for everyday use... bummer. I guess the rack will stay off except when needed. Very nice rack though, rugged and high quality. (Baja through Lucky8). It looks like the mounts could be made 1" lower which would solve the problem.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

wow.. nice find bbyer