LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken TPMS valve stem replacement

Old 03-20-2017, 02:32 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken TPMS valve stem replacement

I have had a few of the aluminum TPMS valve stems break on my 07 LR3. Previously I have replaced the entire TPMS unit, however I am looking for a cheaper alternative as I live in a colder climate with salted roads and I don't expect this will be that last broken stem.

I have seen valve service kits on RockAuto and Ebay, does anyone have experience with these?

Ideally, I would be looking for stems that are compatible with the original LR TPMS sensors (manufactured by Siemens I believe).

Would like to know how others deal with this issue.

Thanks

Old 03-20-2017, 03:17 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

When one breaks on me, I usually replace the whole sensor, because inside the sensor is a battery similar to a watch battery and it has a limited service life.

Doing a quick search for Land Rover TPMS repair kits, they do look like they have the correct base and also the screw hole for the ground strap, so it looks like they should work.

Also make sure your valve stem cap is plastic and not metal.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:38 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LR Techniker
When one breaks on me, I usually replace the whole sensor, because inside the sensor is a battery similar to a watch battery and it has a limited service life.

Doing a quick search for Land Rover TPMS repair kits, they do look like they have the correct base and also the screw hole for the ground strap, so it looks like they should work.

Also make sure your valve stem cap is plastic and not metal.
Thanks LR Techniker, I use the standard plastic caps and have read about the issues related to aftermarket metal valve caps.

I will keep looking into the replacement valve stems as I like the idea of having a spare in the car for off-road trips and I'm keen to minimize the maintenance costs for this vehicle.

As I mentioned, I have had a few break and would rather pay $20 a stem rather than $60-100 a sensor.