LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights keep going out??

Old 03-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlights keep going out??

I'm on my 3rd set of headlights within the past 9 months..has anyone had any issues with their headlights going out? I've never had any problems up until now. I've been using Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's...

Old 03-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you toughing them with your hands? you cannot touch halogen bulbs with your skin.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:01 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

there is your problem. You are using crap bulbs. Use OEM bulbs and stop with the crap.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:21 AM
Three Wheeling

wore a glove, didn't touch the bulb. also, have used the brand in other rover's in the past and they have lasted for more than a year..so I wouldn't say it's because it isn't OEM..thanks for the advice anyhow.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same problem, and no do not touch the bulbs, went through 3 sets in 2 months. still on the third. to the point where i carry an extra set in the car because i was pulled over. OEM part doesn't mean anything in this case because the first two sets were OEM. Running the sylvania silverstar whatever whatever right now. Im not sure but it seems like everytime i take a dive in a puddle on a weekend adventure, not long after pop goes the headlights. I have just concluded that the headlight assembly is prone to moisture. checked voltage to the light out of curiousity, nothing abnormal

Old 10-19-2011, 10:04 AM
1st Gear
Default Headlights Out

Hi bribake and safarisam,

Did you ever find out what was causing your headlights to go out repeatedly?

Thanks,
Danny

Old 10-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

May help to use bulb grease on the base contacts. Also might want to check ground wire near lights (if loose) and alternator output volts (if high - wifey's Kia eats those things and has 14.6 volts.... hmmm)

Old 10-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Headlights going out

Originally Posted by ddpphx
Hi bribake and safarisam,

Did you ever find out what was causing your headlights to go out repeatedly?

Thanks,
Danny
No, never found the cause. I ended up buying cheaper bulbs just to see if they would last longer and so far they have both been working for the past 10 months or so. I had both OEM and the Sylvania Ultras burn out over and over again..

I feel like it started happening once I moved to the PacNW..more moisture? who knows..

Old 10-23-2011, 05:41 PM
4th Gear

I had the same problem. I ended up using the standard bulbs. I was told the the higher end bulbs burn hotter and are more fragile. It took me about 3 pairs in about 6 months before I learned the cause. I've had the standard bulbs in for almost 2 years.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DPM LR3
I had the same problem. I ended up using the standard bulbs. I was told the the higher end bulbs burn hotter and are more fragile. It took me about 3 pairs in about 6 months before I learned the cause. I've had the standard bulbs in for almost 2 years.
This is true, thats how they get the brighter light, buy running hotter (more watts), the Silverstars actually melted the wire harness on my Montero.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlights keep going out??