LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help changing spark plugs...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:27 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help changing spark plugs...

I was in the process of changing my spark plugs, but after removing the engine cover I noticed additional covers over the spark plug area. Before I drop another socket onto the skid plate, can someone tell me what socket size is needed to remove the cover over the spark plugs? Also, I assume the metal firewalls on either side need to be removed to allow space for a socket wrench. I removed the philips head screw holding down the firewall, but they seem to be clipped in the bottom. Is there a special way to remove the firewalls or do I just break the clips?

Thanks in advance.

-C

Old 02-22-2011, 04:53 PM
3rd Gear

BTW, the truck is a 2006 LR3 SE V8.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Drifting

Just be careful if you don't know the answers to these questions or cannot figure them out might be better to have someone experienced change the plugs. Have certainly had to correct many weekend projects for way more than it would have cost in the first place, including a Discovery II last week where the owner tried to cut the starter off with a Saw Zaw!!!!! You should see the picture i have. Very sad. This being sad you might want to tote along a 10 and 12 mm and a 14mm for the skid plates

Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 PM
4wd Low
Default spark plug change

OK - this is obviously an old post so I doubt this will help anyone out. Really, all you have to do is search the forums like this one and you'll be OK. Assuming you have at least a basic knowledge. I'm surprised you were freaked out by the cover over the coils, but I'm certain you noticed that it popped right off. I was surprised at how easy everything was despite all the warnings I had read. On the left side of the block, I found the furtherest back to be a little tricky because of the lack of clearance to pull out the coil pack. It took a little wiggling but it came out easy enough. I removed the pvc on the left to get the closest coil out with ease. On the right side, I removed the heat shield with the one single screw. After that, the right side was very easy to take care of... probably because I had already done the left. Once it was all said and done, i noticed that the left side of my block must run considerable hotter than the right. Those plugs on that side are slightly "burned" with brown ring at the base of the white part of the plug where it meets the metal. Anyone have any tips on that. All in all, i think the plugs looked OK considering they had 107K mi on them! Here was the procedure:
1 - remove the large cover
2 - remove the coil covers - just pop them off.
3 - remove the wiring from each coil (tricky and needs some persuasion)
4 - use 6 or 8mm (can't remember) to remove the coil.
5 - wiggle the coil loose and pull it straight out. (some may take some weird angles to get out.
6 - remove the plug
7 - install the new plug and reverse the process.

Here was the trick for me! Use 2 3" extensions! Once the plug is loosened, remove the ratchet and one extension, pull the plug out and remove the other extension.

Here is what you could help me with: Why are the plugs on the left side of my block look like they're running hotter? I can offer up some pictures is anyone wants to take a look.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Heres some pages from the LR3 shop manual on the process.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ignition Coil-On-Plug Removal.pdf (67.4 KB, 1203 views)
Spark Plugs Removal.pdf (29.2 KB, 1335 views)
Description and Operation.pdf (162.0 KB, 3882 views)
Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the reply and info. My problem is not actually with the removal of the spark plugs but the the silver aluminum firewall blocking the right bank of plugs. It's not attached to the block per sa, but held on with some type of plastic clips. I don't see an easy way of removing it without breaking them. If I have to break them I will...but would rather not have to break something to fix something.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 AM
4wd Low
Default Heat shield

Super easy- don't be worried. Find the one screw that holds it in place. Loosen it and then pull it out of the clips. It just pops in and out of those clips you're seeing! When you're done, align it back up, insert it into the two clips and insert the dongle screw. More simple than it looks! And, once you get that off, the right side goes very fast. The trickiest thing for me was getting the clips off the coils. Good luck!