LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking 2007 LR3, but what is leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking 2007 LR3, but what is leaking

Excuse my ignorance, but I haven't found a good underbody diagram for the LR3, so I am unable to easily ID what part this is on the wifes 2007 LR3 HSE.

I am guessing one of you can look at the pic and easily identify it. It's not the transfer case, that's behind it, it's not the engine that's further forward, so i'm guessing transmission? Seems like oil.
link to gallery

It was just in the shop for suspension airbag issues, and they either missed this (not sure how it's a big leak), or somehow caused it.

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, that's the transmission (pan).

Old 11-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Transmission Pan With Filter With Gasket - Land Rover miscellaneous from Atlantic British

or

Gasket Transmission Pan (Genuine Part # TGK500010) - Land Rover gaskets and seals from Atlantic British

the pan is held in with 21 torx bolts. shop manual says you need to remove the exhaust system, remove transmission support isolator, remove transmission heat shield, release selector cable, remove transmission heat shield bracket, drain transmission, raise right hand side of engine 15 mm, remove a nut and remove pan. alsway use a new gasket. I think my local LR dealer quoted ~$800 for a transmission drain, fill and new pan/filter/gasket.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Overlanding

Thank you.
I'm going to have her dig up the service history, I feel like she just had a work done at the dealer that may have included this, so perhaps it will be covered.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Overlanding

I got her last 2 service tickets (how depressing).
$122 oil change ?!
And then they replaced the Compressor Dryer, relay and delivery valve $765. Parts $223 Labor $542. I don't see how that would be related to this, but i'm not sure how they missed this leak while under there.

Last edited by rally1; 11-10-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Rock Crawling

There's an engine skid plate that must be removed for the oil change; the labor they charge is what kills you (plus dealer list prices for parts). If you want to do it yourself, see my thread (just bumped to the top): https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...432#post356432

You can get the oil and filter from any auto parts store. Should only be around $30-35. If they're running the 5.1quart jug+filter sale (which seems to be every other weekend) it can be even less.

Give the underside of the engine/transmission a good cleaning and then check frequently to see where it returns. Could be as simple as spilling some oil on fill up, which traveled down to the lowest/lower point (trans pan perhaps?

Old 11-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Overlanding

Good idea, i'll clean it out as best I can, and see what happens.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Link to some info on the tranny.

Below is a link to an album with a number of files with some info related to the ZF 6HP26X, the automatic in our 3. There is quite a bit of material related to the oil pan; also some material related to a round gasket on the side of the tranny that seals where the control wires go into the tranny - also a source of leaks.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - ZF 6HP26 Automatic Transmission in LR3

Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Overlanding

Just wanted to update, and thank. I cleaned the whole area, and so far I am not seeing any more fluids. It would seem it was just an overspill as you mentioned. Let's hope so.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:04 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Leaky roof fix addition

Hi guys,

I just finished having the same leaking roof issue but I thought I would add 1 more addition to save some maintenance. In my case the passenger side collected almost all the moisture which cause the rotting of some major electronic joints in the wiring harness that runs under the passenger side plastic molds. The one that took a couple months to fix was the rotting of a wire causing a transmission fault, ride height fault and emergency brake fault. It is a red wire that, in my case, was a factory joint (they are done using blue tape). There were also a couple others that were on their way out. Word to the wise: if you are a little bit handy pick up a package of water-proof connectors (the two joint ends go in, you crimp them and then heat each end so the plastic molds to the original wire). In my case it was 1 red wire joining to 2 red wires up just before the cluster of wires start heading up the wheel well.

Apparently this connection on the LR computer shows a "turn signal fault" which I have heard in some peoples cases a faulty light cause this issue. In my case I had the brake sensor, ride height sensor, a number of other sensors all changed along with racking up a lot of service time when in the end I was able to fix it myself.

Just sending an ounce of prevention. If you don't have faults now you can avert them.

Quick Reply: Leaking 2007 LR3, but what is leaking