LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 = Modern Day Pinto:

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Yeah I truly do plan on it!

Old 12-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Brown's Camp would be a fun meet-up...

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Not the same thing, but I had a fuel leak where the line connects to the fuel rail on the driver's side of the engine after coming across from the passenger side. Smelled fuel for a while whenever I came to a stop. The o-rings on the connection were no good anymore, and the line had to be replaced (for $600...). The mechanic said it was a fairly common issue. It was a relatively minor leak, but again, it was on top of the hot engine, so as soon as I found it I stopped driving it.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:57 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting observation - but definitely a misleading title.

IIHS did a test around the same time the LR3 came out, in which all production / import vehicles were researched and whatever deaths they discovered were multiplied / divided to get similar results - equating to 1 million miles per vehicle.

The LR3 and RRS (both the Integrated Body Frame) were two of only 5 vehicles in THE ENTIRE test to have zero deaths per million passenger miles.

Zero.

So go look up the video of the RRS in Russia driving through a brick wall, or one driving off the bridge and falling to the road below - both with people walking out lol.

You're getting into 11+ year old territory now, and any failed part is purely the result of wear and tear. Pintos were blowing up and killing people off the showroom floor.

In contrast though - if you do care about your family and such, I firmly believe you're driving one of the safest vehicles ever created. They paid a hefty price in weight/mileage, but they're almost bulletproof (and I think they have something like 12 airbags, including curtain airbags for the third row) which is unheard of if you rewind back to 2005.

Thanks for the heads up though, it's definitely something for people to monitor. As far as water knocking it loose - that seams nearly impossible.. anything subjected to high loads / impacts is protected or tucked away significantly, or is strong enough to the point where it can't be damaged.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

The pinto remark was a joke, but had it been 90F outside my 06 LR3 would have certainly gone up in smoke no doubt about it.

The fuel line popped apart from me hitting that puddle. It sputtered in the middle of it, and I coasted to a stop right past it. Nothing was wrong with the quick connect or the way it was routed. I just lined it up, and it clicked into position. It's not 100% sealed from the bottom and mud, snow, gravel, and water can splash up directly onto it. My brother lives down a gravel road and it's covered in mud/dirt in the pic he sent me. Mine looked untouched and was extremely clean. I put nearly 4k on my 06 LR3 within the first several months of owning it, and if it was loose or dangling from any previous repairs there is absolutely no way it stayed together thru all the bumps, n miles I put on it. I hit the puddle, water splashed up onto it, and that combined with the pressure in the fuel line itself made it pop apart.

The zip ties I added give it support now so if some mud, snow, or water splash up in it the fuel line really doesn't have room to wiggle free. Like it did before with just one little factory hose clip (that holds it near the tank).

Bottom line if I never thought a LR was safe I wouldn't put me or my family in it! They're extremely safe, but that quick connect on that fuel line is about as pathetic as a Pinto no doubt about it.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Maybe a piece of gravel or something came up from the puddle and jarred it loose....???

Old 12-10-2016, 09:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Water cannons tend to knock things around.

I think enough water splashing off a tyre could create a pretty good force but my question is how does the quick connect disconnect?

I searched on eBay under fuel line quick disconnect and found a number of different fitting types. I also saw some sort of scissor type disconnect tool that I presume works on some particular type of fitting. The link below shows the scissor type and the second link shows a Ford plastic surround device that clips around the fitting and causes disconnection.

As such, how under normal circumstances does one disconnect our LR style of fitting - which I presume is a fitting used on most Ford production?

Fuel Line Quick Disconnect | eBay

OTC (7337) Fuel Line Disconnect Tool Set for Ford - 2 Piece | eBay

Old 12-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

As such, how under normal circumstances does one disconnect our LR style of fitting
Drive your LR thru a puddle lol j/k. I didn't spend much time looking at the connector as I was laying in 4inches of 45F water on the side of the road at the time, but it looked like the type of connector where you push in both sides and it releases. Kinda reminds me of a larger version of the Purge Control Valve connection on a D2 at the throttle body or on our LR3 where the PCV line connects to the throttle body.

I talked to my good LR buddy about this particular hose and he said honestly they had several back in the day towed in with the complaint being "vehicle stalled & won't restart with a strong smell of gas" or "vehicle turns over, but won't start".

When they inspected them they found the same fuel line had "popped" loose. I asked if they ever replaced the lines, and he simply said no. Put them back together, made sure the hose was clipped into place and routed properly and sent them on their way.

Those were back in 2008-2010 on 2005-2007 LR3's.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:48 AM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a 2008, next time I'm under there I'll check out the area to see if there was an update in the later model years. Wouldn't surprise me, there are a lot of small differences on my 2008 than earlier years it seems.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Yep I see a lot of tweaks between model years. Some are a step forward and some are a serious step back (for example 99-02 D2's had standard oil coolers, 03-04 did not even have them at all).

Quick Reply: LR3 = Modern Day Pinto: