LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 fuel pump issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 12:27 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 fuel pump issue?

I have a 2006 lr3 and whats going on is random and happens every couple days, your driving and all of a sudden it feels like the engine just dies for a second and then kicks back on and then drives fine for another 2-3 days. it feels like Its cutting out from the fuel pump cutting out, hopefully not the computer. any suggestions? it has 98K

Old 04-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

my fuel pump randomly cut out one day on my way to work. But it was no intermittent thing, just died and wouldn't restart.

It cost me $1,700 parts and labour by the time it was all said and done.
- diagnostics
- fuel pump
- tank removal
- install pump
- straighten skid plate
- reassembly

It ain't no $100 thing like on an old domestic pick up truck, that's for sure.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Not a 52 Chev!

Where pray tell does one find someone in Mackenzie that can spell Land Rover, let alone pull the gas tank etc? Dog sled techs for certain; maybe even guys good at wood spoke wheel repairs but Land Rover?

At $1,700.00, that is also a bargain - definitely not Mainland pricing, let alone the Prairies.

You must have been the expert as just getting at the fuel tank is in the UK, a body off type of task.

You are to be congratulated on your good luck at getting such a great deal and better yet, that the fuel pump was the problem - it is a really complicated setup inside the tank, what with there being two fuel gauges, assorted jet pumps, the four roll over valves, and the main fuel pump plus who knows what else - and your 3 runs again - wow.

I think you were lucky it was not intermittent - that would have been a problem then.

Attached Thumbnails LR3 fuel pump issue?-d3-body-lifted-front-view.jpg   LR3 fuel pump issue?-fuel-tank-item-15-where-gas-fuel-pump-filter-internal.jpg  
Old 04-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I was living in Fort St John at the time.

I think that I actually own the only Land Rover in Mackenzie, as I have yet to see another.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Fort St John - yes a relative metropolis.

Well I guess compared to Mackenzie, the number of street lights in Fort St John would be blinding and the number of Land Rover techs, well none, but their may be at least one remittance man in the Fort that can spell Land Rover - if so, I guess you found him - still figure it was you providing the guidance as well as the money.

I also presume that given the sun is only seen a couple of months a year that far north, any street lights would be welcome as that at least infers a street.

I suspect you have almost the only 3 in the whole Great White North, and re Mackenzie, given that the sun never shines there, even finding your own 3 buried nightly under the snow would be tough, let alone spotting another one.

For me, todays achievement, and it is an achievement in my my mind, is I now have a 2014 D4 bluetooth module installed in my 2005 LR3 and it works. 2121 is the pairing code.

The phone book in my BlackBerry 9900 now displays on the radio display and I can dial by pushing the right **** of the radio. I also have the 3 flash feature on my signal lights just like the new 4's and some of the new Chev and Ford pickups.

And my 3 still starts, plus R and D seem to work as well - I went for a short drive around the block just to make certain - how is that for confidence?

Old 04-24-2014, 12:28 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by bbyer
Where pray tell does one find someone in Mackenzie that can spell Land Rover, let alone pull the gas tank etc? Dog sled techs for certain; maybe even guys good at wood spoke wheel repairs but Land Rover?

At $1,700.00, that is also a bargain - definitely not Mainland pricing, let alone the Prairies.

You must have been the expert as just getting at the fuel tank is in the UK, a body off type of task.

You are to be congratulated on your good luck at getting such a great deal and better yet, that the fuel pump was the problem - it is a really complicated setup inside the tank, what with there being two fuel gauges, assorted jet pumps, the four roll over valves, and the main fuel pump plus who knows what else - and your 3 runs again - wow.

I think you were lucky it was not intermittent - that would have been a problem then.
Guess I am not sure what you are talking about on this one. The fuel tank is actually rather easy to get out. It is only 6 bolts, two quick release fuel lines, one emission hose and an electrical connector. It drops down from the bottom. Hardest part is getting all the fuel out but can be pump out easy enough from the fuel bleed valve in the engine bay at about 5 gallons per 30 mins on the gas engines if the engine is running. If not you haf to pump it out from the fuel filler line connection point (headache).

I have pulled mine half a dozen times in less than an hour once the tank is empty. Fuel pump is right under the cap on top of the tank. $1700 is a little on the high side as the pump unit is less then $700 complete and only has 2 quick release lines to disconnect it from the internal tank system.

Last edited by trynian; 04-24-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Default You are hired.

Originally Posted by trynian
I have pulled mine half a dozen times in less than an hour once the tank is empty. Fuel pump is right under the cap on top of the tank. $1700 is a little on the high side as the pump unit is less then $700 complete and only has 2 quick release lines to disconnect it from the internal tank system.
I think when the day comes that I need a fuel pump, you are the man - but you best bring the fuel pump with you.

I phoned my local dealer today and asked for the price of WGS500051, the fuel pump for the petrol LR3. My cost here is $1,345.00 plus tax.

I figure in Mackenzie, with taxes and shipping in, that would be about $1,600.00. Now yes, these are Canadian dollars, each being worth only 90 cents US, but still this is along way from seven hundred.

What this suggests is the shop doing the work got about a hundred dollars, a bargain by the standards of my local dealer as he add a 10% shop fee to cover the free car wash.

As electric fuel pumps tend to rely on the tank contents for their cooling, I try to keep my fuel tank more than half full the majority of the time - certainly in the City. I also discovered keeping the top half of the tank full is is no more expensive than the bottom half.

Attached Thumbnails LR3 fuel pump issue?-lr3-fuel-pump-wgs500051.jpg  
Old 04-24-2014, 11:00 AM
5th Gear

I'm not sure if its a fuel pump issue, thats why I was wanting peoples input, the engine acts like is about to stall and die and then it just kicks back to life reality quick, its never actually shut off its just feels like its about to. and it just happens once in awhile and it seems to do it more when your turning a corner

Old 04-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Fuel tank near empty?

I had a 1988 Chev pickup that I had to be very careful with when turning a hard left, as at an intersection to beat the red etc. If the fuel tank was less than a 1/4 full, gas would slosh away from the pickup and the engine would die on a hard left turn - needless to say I kept the tank above half all the time.

The problem was a lack of baffling or a collapsed baffle inside the tank that allowed the gas to slosh away from the fuel pump pickup point.

In theory, Land Rover has that problem solved as steep ups or downs or sideways would leave us stranded, so in theory, that should not be your problem.

At any rate, if the problem is intermittent, try keeping the fuel level above half and see if anything changes over say a two week period; then drive on the bottom half for another couple of weeks and see what transpires.

That is pretty much how you resolve these intermittent problems - by experimenting. It is almost a relief when the 3 just quits - then finding the problem is usually easier - more expensive but easier.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:11 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by fmbchoppers
I'm not sure if its a fuel pump issue, thats why I was wanting peoples input, the engine acts like is about to stall and die and then it just kicks back to life reality quick, its never actually shut off its just feels like its about to. and it just happens once in awhile and it seems to do it more when your turning a corner
You can test the fuel pressure easy enough. There is a schrader valve up on the driver side of the engine. You can pick up a pressure test gauge for about $30 US. Should be constant at about 4.5 bar.

Quick Reply: LR3 fuel pump issue?