LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offroad lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Offroad lights

I have LR driving lights installed on my 06 LR3, with factory switch. I have a voyager rack roof rack with two 55w offroad lights mounted, but not wired. I have little electrical experience, but understand diagrams enough to wire them. Can I wire these to the factory driving light switch or do I need to wire them separate to the switch that came with the aftermarket lights? The aftermarket diagram instructs to splice into high beams, anyone have a pic of which wire that is?

Thanks!!

Old 07-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

When you say "factory switch" do you mean the rotory and by "driving lights" you mean the ones installed in the bumper? I have the LR "off road lights" that mount to separately to the bumper or in my case the A-Frame Brush Bar, and those are wired to a switch integrated on my dash on the right side of the steering wheel. Those indeed are wired such that they only come on if my high beams are selected on.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

In order to wire that up, you also need to tell the vehicle it is installed by programming the computer. It's a good setup. Do you need the installation instructions for the factory kit, maybe that would be a good place to start. If you need the factory installation manual, drop me a PM w/e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default more info needed

As houm_wa says, more info is needed. I assume you have an LR3 but the odds of it having a factory driving light switch installed is about zero. Also are your headlights the HID projector type with the H7 additional high beam or all the H7 type?

The jpg below shows the factory switch mounted just to the left of the left middle dash air vent. Just mounting the switch in the "factory" location is a custom cutting sort of job; wiring it is another.

The wiring diagram provided shows how the factory switch can be wired to your new non factory driving lamps using a suitable relay. I suggest you stay away from the factory head light wiring particularly if you have the HID headlights.

If you used the factory high beam power as power for your driving lights, that would probably lead to problems just in itself. I presume however you would use the lead as a trigger to a relay but you still need an on/off switch re your driving lights as then when high beam was on, so would the driving lights.

This is the link re the wiring setup and parts numbers.

Overland Journal Project Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4) - Page 5 - Expedition Portal

Attached Thumbnails Offroad lights-switch-driving-lights-wiring-diagram-15543634_large.jpg   Offroad lights-switch-driving-lights-mounted-15543632_large.jpg  
Old 07-10-2014, 08:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Yep, the driving lights on the front bumper. The switch is the one in bbyer's pic. The lights are also wired to come on only with the high beams.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Two switches then?

I presume then you have two factory auxiliary lights kind of located on top of the bumper per below and now two of your own installed on the roof rack.

By EU law and maybe North America law as well, auxiliary road headlights can only be illuminated with the factory high beams also on. In other words, you are not supposed to drive on a legal road with only the aux lights illuminated.

Also all aux lights are supposed to go off when low or dipped beam is selected.

A bigger question is how are you going to run some power wires up to the rack lights? The answer is not an easy one.

I do not know how many amps the factory setup is designed for, hence tapping that circuit at the output might not be a good idea.

Also you will still need a separate switch; probably the best bet is to install a second factory switch, and attach to some of the first factory switch conductors but do it such that both switches operate independent of each other - it should be doable; the hardest part will be to find a location for the second switch.

Attached Thumbnails Offroad lights-driving-lights-mounting-grill-spots_2.jpg   Offroad lights-light-bar-32-inch-d4-front-bumper-8029739762.jpg  
Old 07-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I agree with everything bbyer says.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

My suggestion on the bar lights would be a Rigid light bar, it comes with a harness and switch. I'll be able to tell you how to install it after I get the one I ordered and install it.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks all for the input, I appreciate it very much!

Old 01-21-2015, 11:54 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by unseenone
My suggestion on the bar lights would be a Rigid light bar, it comes with a harness and switch. I'll be able to tell you how to install it after I get the one I ordered and install it.

Did you ever get your lights and get them installed? I have a nice routing for the wiring to the lights and a location for relay..maybe switch. Just not sure where to "tap in" for the power. Do I splice into a line or plug into fuse box? Which one? Worried about overloading a circuit or burning the LR to the ground. I have zero experience with installing off road lights....or anything else besides a couple head units.

Quick Reply: Offroad lights