LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension dryer or lines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:03 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suspension dryer or lines?

Hey folks. Newbie here. I drive a '07 LR3 HSE. As of late, I have a "Suspension Fault Normal Height Only" message every time I drive it. I have attempted to find a resolution on this site & others. I see most point toward a compressor or a cracked dryer. I sprayed soapy water on my lines on the dryer with orange and blue fittings. There are significant leaks at those fittings. I removed the compressor, dryer and bracket to see if I could get my eye on any glaring issues.

I am of the belief the pump is running too much in an attempt to keep up with the leaks. ...overheating & protecting itself by shutting off. Thereby throwing a caution.

I noticed my lines, that are leaking, are indented where the fitting within the dryer crimps them. Has anybody found success in replacing the lines alone?

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

No, dryer is the cause of that leak. The escaping desiccant damages the seals.

Replace it, and you should be alright, as long as over running the compressor has not damaged it.

You're on the right track with the compressor running too much, it will over heat, but that is not what throws the fault. The fault that this will throw is either for the pressure increasing too slowly, or the pressure dropping when the system is inactive, due to the leak.

Either way, change out the dryer, don't try to just fix the leak, as you do not want desiccant all through the system.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:11 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

roverguy7 - Thanks for the insight! I will order one tonight & let her be a garage queen for a few days to (hopefully) spare the compressor.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I read the codes on my LR3, and the suspension fault is exactly as roverguy7 says, pressure increasing too slowly.

I've seen some reports of people replacing (or even reconditioning) the silica gel in the dryer. I'm going to try that first, before replacing the $100 dryer. I know, it's kind of a cheap-o way to go, but I figure for the $15 new silica gel, and $8 compressor repair kit I've also ordered from Land Rover, it's worth trying to fix it.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After I replaced my compressor with the AMK version I autopsied the old one and the dryer canister. There was a reasonable amount of breakdown of the beads into dust which most likely had some effect in clogging the air flow. I baked the silica beads in the oven on a low heat (I was advised to avoid the microwave) and after half an hour noted that the weight had reduced by about 25% which I attribute to removal of moisture. It was an interesting science experiment....

Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Interesting, I've never taken the drier apart. I've completely striped the compressor out, including motor windings, but always just trashed the driers.

I don't see why changing out the silica wouldn't work, but I would change out the seals too(don't know what kit you have, or if those seals are available through LR)

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

My sisters LR3 was getting the same error. I changed out the dryer and rebuilt one of the valves in the compressor. It resolved the problem. The valve kit or compressor repair was a spring and two rubber seals that go on the ends of the spring.

The desicant in the dryer gets saturated and restricts air flow to the compressor. The compressor overheats and causes the error.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Part of what I need showed up today:

Suspension dryer or lines?-image-2009158584.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on the land rover parts.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Let everyone know what/where you got it.. That desiccant is hard to find..

Old 08-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by unseenone
Let everyone know what/where you got it.. That desiccant is hard to find..
I got this at amazon. It's just color indicating silica gel. I think it was $14 on prime. I probably could have used something cheaper if I could have found it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000OU...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

I actually work for a subsidiary of Hitachi and some of our equipment ships with a huge pack of desiccant. I was going to use that thinking that it might be the same stuff as what's in the Hitachi compressor. It's not. They stuff I had is clay, not silica, so I figured that would be a bad idea. So I bought the stuff on amazon.

Another option would be to reactivate the existing silica in a 250° oven for 2 hours. But if the old stuff is blocking air flow, I guess some of t must be broken down so I bought new.

Quick Reply: Suspension dryer or lines?