LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SUSPENSION FAULT - No Action Required???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:13 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious why replacing a brake lamp would cause a problem. My (2005 LR3) suspension fault light didn't come on until a day or so after I installed the trailer light harness, which connects into the the driver's side rear lamp assembly. While I was crawling around under the rear of the vehicle I noted a heavy weight hanging on the the rear frame, which I'm sure I moved around. After this the amber fault light came on, but everything seemed to be OK otherwise. Then towed a trailer and while doing this the fault light came on and it would not let me lower the vehicle. I figure this was normal due to the load, but since then I can't lower the vehicle, even though I'm not towing and I pulled out the hitch receiver.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Mudding

Those weights are vibration dampers, or some other form of agricultural method of doing something to the mechanics of the truck.

They cannot possibly have anything to do with electronics.

Why you installed a trailer harness and got troubles is as weird as my changing out the battery and getting strange faults.

Is this making us want to go back to Lucas? I'm getting nervous about the new LRs when electrical faults are so common and so random.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear

Didn't think the weight did anything electrically, but considering the posts that mention the topic of of balance/sensors I wonder if I confused the beast by moving things and then towing the trailer. (the fault light went on before I towed, but it stopped going into the low rise setting while towing and then stayed that way afterwards).

Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Overlanding

What was the cost to you for the replacement part(s)?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Flying Trout
I'm curious why replacing a brake lamp would cause a problem. My (2005 LR3) suspension fault light didn't come on until a day or so after I installed the trailer light harness, which connects into the the driver's side rear lamp assembly. While I was crawling around under the rear of the vehicle I noted a heavy weight hanging on the the rear frame, which I'm sure I moved around. After this the amber fault light came on, but everything seemed to be OK otherwise. Then towed a trailer and while doing this the fault light came on and it would not let me lower the vehicle. I figure this was normal due to the load, but since then I can't lower the vehicle, even though I'm not towing and I pulled out the hitch receiver.
Neither the hitch nor the counterbalance weights are connected to the electrics in any way. The weights are there to combat sound resonance problems which can occur at a certain speed/gear/road surface combination and produce an effect a bit like feedback howl in a p a system but at a lower frequency. ANYTHING that disturbs the electric system that is fitted as standard on these cars, even very slightly, can cause seemingly very strange knock on effects. How does water in the fuel filter affect the HDC system???????? Don't know, but it undoubtedly does - change the filter and the warning goes away! If you look carefully at combination brake/sidelight bulbs some filaments lie horizontally, others vertically but these are rare. So, only fit LR originals, otherwise when a filament goes it can then short across and confuse the canbus system and, again, you will get all sorts of strange unrelated warnings. This is where the forums can be a HUGE help. Brake pedal warning light switch failing is another example. To go back to your problem (instead of banging on, sorry!) putting a piggyback connector into the rear loom to connect your trailer light socket could well upset things, as can trailer light problems themselves. Once the system detects a fault/problem it will then restrict options until it is resolved. If the system thinks the problem may affect safety you'll get red warnings and a code will be recorded.
Any strange warning lights coming on, start by checking battery voltage and then alternator output as these are critical and can throw the system into a complete tizzy. Simple stuff first, particularly if it is no cost!!!

Apologies for the rainy day ramble.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:27 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default steering crooked vs red light suspension??

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
Is you steering wheel crooked? Have you recently replaced a brake lamp bulb?
You can check your height sesnors using the 4x4 screen on the nav unit.
Compressors do fail, reservoirs can rust and leak. Fault code diagnosis will help

dear please just tell me the steering crooked make red light show? my car is lr3 and i make a line up on workshop then after show this red light but compressor is good! by the way the steering wheel is little crooked yes! please help me

Old 11-24-2017, 06:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LRn2zzzz
My 05 LR3 (105K miles) recently has been showing a suspension fault warning. Exact message is "Suspension Fault - Normal Height Only" and the red suspension warning indicator illuminates (not FLASHING). Checking the vehicle manual under the message center, it states that there's "NO ACTION REQUIRED" needed. Under the warning indicators, the manual states the same unless it's flashing (in this case, it is advised to drive slowly and seek qualified assistance). What gives? I've been having this issue for the past three weeks and I've been driving the vehicle still -- it seems like there's nothing wrong at all even when the warning light/message comes on. Most of the time, the message/warning light comes after a few minutes of driving but once in awhile, it doesn't come out at all. I'm really confused. I'm ready to take it to the dealer but wanted to know what the issue is or what are my options are. I live in Italy where it's very expensive to have repairs and takes very long to accomplished. I'm trying to avoid that if all possible.
did you fix ? please tell me what was problem
thanks