LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission hesitation from stop and rolling stop

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:12 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission hesitation from stop and rolling stop

Just purchased the car about a month ago. 2005 LR3 with 104k miles. Great car so far.

My issue - documented in some threads here - is that the transmission seems wait for a bit before engaging and by the time it does you've spun up the engin so it lurches forward. If you're trying to avoid something it can be scary.

There are references to a software upgrade, but this car is now 8 years old, so that must have been applied. The car did not have the tow package so the transmission was not abused by heavy use. Could the transmission be bad at only 100k? There are also comments about a transmission flush that solves the problem and others say its sealed for life - don't touch it.

Anyone have suggestions or am I heading to the dealer to check things out.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

If the dealer suspects that there is an issue in the transmission, then they will likely sell you a transmission. I don't know of very many LR dealers that will do anything beyond pan replacement and electrical sleeve replacement.

As for the problem at hand, first I start with checking the fluid level. Low fluid can cause this. Even if you never noticed spots in the driveway, the fluid level can still be low. The level must be checked cold and with the engine running. Some people say you can use a variety of fluids to top off, I only use ZF Lifegaurd 6. If it is indeed low, you may have a slow (seeping) leak at either the pan or electrical sleeve.

If the fluid is OK, then the next step would be to pull the Mechatronics out. Inspect the seal between the Mechatronics and the case. If its split/broken, then replace it and fill back up with fluid. If its OK, then consider putting solenoids in it. Assuming the solenoids are bad at this point is still "guessing", but it fixes 75% of the shifting issues. When it comes down to this, I usually do a few other things to the Mechatronics unit before I put it back in, but its not exactly a DIY job.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"sealed for life" is bull****, FYI
Definitely drain and refill with ZF lifeguard 6 first. Cheapest I found was $20/quart, 3-4 quarts required. For ~$100, good thing to try; can't hurt. SavanahBuzz posted the procedure in another tranny thread in here

The following users liked this post:
emilypigeon (04-27-2020)
Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Have them check the software. Mine was doing this, updated the software and now all is better.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 AM
4th Gear

Thank you all for your posts.

I'll get on the fluid change and the computer update. Is the computer update dealer only?

I looked at the instructions to change the fluid. Looks to be more than I'm up for doing. Should be fine for most foreign shops - right? There's a few good ones in my are that do bmw, porsche audi - haven't found a lr shop yet. Anyone know of a good shop on Cape Cod?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Computer - dealer or independent with right computer and software and access to factory software updates (rare, but possible)

Yes, most foreign shops should be able to do it. Probably have the ZF life guard 6 fluid if they work on BMW/Benz.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 AM
1st Gear

I recently had the same problem with my LR3. The dealer drained, flushed and replaced the fluid and updated the software and now she runs great.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ghengis86
"sealed for life" is bull****, FYI
Definitely drain and refill with ZF lifeguard 6 first. Cheapest I found was $20/quart, 3-4 quarts required. For ~$100, good thing to try; can't hurt. SavanahBuzz posted the procedure in another tranny thread in here
I'm new to LR's but I thought I read somewhere that it was an $800 job for new fluid. Did that higher estimate include other work?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by justin_seimet
I recently had the same problem with my LR3. The dealer drained, flushed and replaced the fluid and updated the software and now she runs great.
Are you talking about a tranny fluid replacement? On the updated software, do you know what module the software update was for? I have a 2006 LR3.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jnorton1
I'm new to LR's but I thought I read somewhere that it was an $800 job for new fluid. Did that higher estimate include other work?
The ~$800 bill is probably for a fluid drain, replacement of the filter/pan unit (integrated into a single part), refill of fluid, software update and labor. It's the labor that makes it cost so much because they have to lift the right side of the engine in order to take the transmission pan off to replace it. There's a long pick up tube on the pan which necessitates the extra clearance.

Quick Reply: transmission hesitation from stop and rolling stop