LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated tensioner pulley (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Updated tensioner pulley (pics)

I installed new belts today on my 2006 @ 70k miles.

Roverguy7 suggested updating the tensioner to the new style (part #: PQR500350)

Everything went nice and smooth and I thought I'd share a few pics:

Old vs new comparison:

New tensioner installed:

All done:

Old 07-01-2013, 07:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

On some engines, there is a need to modify a bracket to allow for the new pulley to fit. It's not difficult, but I would suggest knowing where to get a grinder if one is needed.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:38 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why the size difference?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The diameter where the belt rides is the same on both. The updated style controls the belts lateral movement and prevents it from walking, which causes both noise and wear on the edges. This pulley was production fit on the engine mid-year 08 I believe.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey thank you guys for the information. I will for sure get the pulley/tensioner tomorrow and price out what it would cost to replace the upper tail gate release cable.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Pulley only, nothing to do with spring tensioners?

With the jpg's above, I think I have how figured out where this pulley is located.. It appears to screw right into the engine block and has nothing to due with belt tension - purely an idler pulley as roverguy7 said.

I believe it is item number 7 in the pdf below and is called a deflection pulley related to what is termed the Primary Accessory drive belt - the long one.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Description and Operation.pdf (120.5 KB, 2185 views)
The following users liked this post:
Old Mate (10-05-2019)
Old 01-02-2014, 01:51 AM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
It appears to screw right into the engine block and has nothing to due with belt tension - purely an idler pulley
X2 bbyer,

because of the positions in which the accessories are mounted to the engine, the deflection pulley is simply there to route the belt over the top of the crankshaft pulley (5)

as a note: diagram B shows the crankshaft pulley numbered as (6) "Generator - or Alternator". Clearly this is a typo and should be (5), as the generator/alternator is properly labelled (6) in diagram A.

Sadly, poorly proof read as is so common these days - and it's been mislabelled since 2004. Still a great visual aid and we all appreciate you posting all of the information you find or have found and hung onto. Your username really should be "busy bee byer" as you are so willing to post every day in order to share your information.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Surely Bruce,you have been busy lately, with all the postings and such..Always appreciate it though.,Happy New Year.!!
On the other hand, I have installed this updated pulley in 2009, i believe,as I was changing both belts, due to spiderweb like cracks on them, scored that part for 17 bucks with a discount back then...

Old 01-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default blame Jaguar

I appreciate the kind words. I recall a few years back, getting any information was near impossible; Disco3 was the only source then and later I discovered AULRO. Now that the 3 has hit the used market, the USA forums are getting good as there are so many guys picking the 3's up now and using them as they were designed.

Any yes, when you did find some sort of factory info, you had to then filter it to determine what applied and what did not. I tend to put it down to the LHD/RHD differences and the fact LR truly sells to the world. I think much of what we see was created for RHD and the reverse did not always work out. I might add that LR probably makes more LHD vehicles than RHD, but the thinking is all for the domestic UK market.

In the case of engines, I think the publication guys are serious about the diesel engines but for the petrol, the factory just Xerox's whatever Jaguar stuff they can find and publishes that as LR - near enough so to speak.

About all I can say is that it keeps you thinking - probably in part what fascinates me about the marque.

The link below is is an interesting discussion regarding the history of driving on the left vs right side of the road from before the Egyptians up to now. China is interesting and is currently a market for LHD, (drive on the right as per North America and the EU), so maybe LR will have a reason to look at their LHD pictures.

Right- and left-hand traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Per the pulley link below, the pulley, "updated" has also had its price updated to about $US 55.95 at AB, hence I wonder what LR Canada is asking?

With pricing, you can never assume; most times dealer pricing is near double and the odd time, the same or less if you factor shipping in.
I still claim LR Canada has a cookie jar just full of numbers and the head pricer just pulls whatever out.

Pulley Idler Primary Belt-Updated (Genuine Part # PQR500350) - Land Rover ancillary components from Atlantic British

Old 01-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys something to me is not adding up.. To remove the fan what nut/bolts do I remove to give me more room to get at both belts. I see four on the backside of the fan, three on the front where the fan connects to the block/engine. I also see a every large nut between the fan and the connection to the block/engine as well. in a few pics. posted earlier it looks like you just unthread the fan from the engine by unthreading the large nut and the fan will unthread? I think I'm tired and I am missing the obvious. feel free to add any info.

Quick Reply: Updated tensioner pulley (pics)