LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your LR3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 07:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default rear end oil seal replaced

While we are talking CV joints and the like, just before Christmas, (Friday morning Dec 23), I had the good fortune to notice two drips of oil on the garage floor sort of below where the rear end is located.

I chased over to my independent, and to my surprise, upon putting the 3 up on the hoist, the rear end was "wet".

Oil was leaking from where that final CV joint is located just before the rotating parts enter the front of the case.

I got lucky, my independent had an oil seal, replaced it in a couple of hours and they were off for Christmas at noon, and I was on my way south to the Mountains.

The good news was it was not even necessary to top up the oil in the rear end as it was not really down; it seems I caught it right when it started to leak.

It seems that an oil seal is an oil seal, or at least a Dana or generic part rather than some exotic LR not stocked part - well the LR dealer did not have one anyway.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:32 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front brakes: rotors, pads and new sensor

Ordered front brake kit from RockAuto and installed on Sat. Went without a hitch. Lots of good tips from the forum and YouTube video. Thanks to all those who assist the rest of us here with reliable technical advise. Have successfully replace alternator with troubleshooting help and tips from other members as well.

Just a quick plug for RockAuto. If you haven't checked them out I highly recommend them. Online parts business for just about any car made and has an enormous inventory of LR parts. Easy to navigate web site, very prompt processing and shipping, and great customer service. I bought both the alternator and front brake kit form them. Couldn't be happier. RockAuto

Old 02-26-2017, 09:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

New struts for the liftgate, Dashcare dashmat and on Friday I ordered new Timken front hubs assys (not from Atl Brit - found them much cheaper elsewhere), and the tranny pan conversion kit from Atl British. Gonna be a fun week!

I bought a membershifp to a local DIY garage - a bay with a lift, a full set of tools, including air tools, bearing press etc., fluid disposal, tire machince...the list goes on. Bay rental (with membership) is $15/hr. I think it will out nicely.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:31 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Dv8er
New struts for the liftgate, Dashcare dashmat and on Friday I ordered new Timken front hubs assys (not from Atl Brit - found them much cheaper elsewhere), and the tranny pan conversion kit from Atl British. Gonna be a fun week!

I bought a membershifp to a local DIY garage - a bay with a lift, a full set of tools, including air tools, bearing press etc., fluid disposal, tire machince...the list goes on. Bay rental (with membership) is $15/hr. I think it will out nicely.
You don't see those DIY shops around much anymore.. good score.

Also, what's your cheaper source for the front hubs?

Old 02-27-2017, 11:41 AM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sold it couldn't figure out the random misfires and was sick of pouring money into the problem, so its gone gonna miss it! Sort of

Old 02-27-2017, 02:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

That's random...didn't you sell yours a long time ago, @Sonies?

Old 02-27-2017, 07:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by EastCoast
You don't see those DIY shops around much anymore.. good score.

Also, what's your cheaper source for the front hubs?

Cheaper source for the hubs was Amazon, surprsingly enough.

Amazon Amazon

That is of course, provided they are the correct part. I dont always trust the "this fits your...." filter on Amazon.

The following users liked this post:
EastCoast (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 08:13 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Dv8er
Cheaper source for the hubs was Amazon, surprsingly enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Timken-HA5006...ype=automotive

That is of course, provided they are the correct part. I dont always trust the "this fits your...." filter on Amazon.
Thanx!

I find the customer reveiws to be a fairly accurate litmus test when it comes to Amazon products so I think you'll be alright.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Do we have a gallery/photo thread on here? I am looking to do some OEM+ cosmetic upgrades on my LR3 after the post winter maintenance is completed and I need some inspiration and ideas.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Three Wheeling

I fixed the cd eject button on my radio and the spring on my spring loaded ashtray. I then started on my hubs...and had to order new axles. It was a "2 steps forward, 1 step back" kind of a day...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LR3 today?