LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to not buy your replacement diff

Old 11-27-2014, 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Where to not buy your replacement diff

I really didn't want to post this but I feel that I would want to hear this when making a large purchase such as a rear diff. We all know that it is one of the biggest rover fears, being a high priced part and labor. I called roverland parts and centurion because I did not want to buy a used diff that may fail soon anyway. Centurion was more expensive and had their science down with the metals and upgrades used. Roverland had a full rebuilt diff that had all new bearings and gears in a cleaned and painted housing. I asked roverland how many failures they had and they told me that they have had no issues and they have spent quality time making sure they supply a good product. I chose Roverland at $1400 over the centurion $1700 and what a mistake. My new diff arrived and was installed for the price of $650 and I thought "good to go". Except it made a terrible noise off the racks. I tried driving it and the noise was unbearable. The issue here is that parts this expensive should be thoroughly tested and this one was not. I have to bear the burden of paying the labor two times for their mistake. I can understand that they can not reimburse labor but in cases where you invest large amounts of money the manufacture must assume more responsibility behind their parts failing when it costs $600-$700 to swap out. This is not an alternator and should have more backing than small parts. They do cover the part and shipping but this is small potatoes to the labor. They were truly "surprised" that it failed but you will receive no credits, consolation or care of the trouble you will take on.

Bottom line, my diff made noise from mile 0 and it is not worth the risk for anyone else to take on. I am hopefull other products are good but not this one.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Winching
Received 105 Likes on 94 Posts
Default another source

When mine failed I took it to a local Indy shop who put on a new ear diff motor, a new motor controller and charged me $2000 +. He then said the real
Problem was the diff was bad and only the LR part should be used and that was $4200. I picked up my LR3 and took it home looking for a better choice. I found unseenone on this forum and had one shipped to a different local Indy shop that charged $500 to install and reprogram.

In my opinion...... Best desicion I ever made for locating a new diff.

It is a shame that others on the forumn have to learn at your expense..... But at some point we all get to be the one learning the hard lesson for the rest of us..... Good luck on the new diff and hope it holds out a long time.

Jeff

Old 11-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Since we are talking diffs, is there a way I can test the one in my 06 to use in the 05, can't drive it

Was thinking remove wheels and drive shaft, pry brakes out and spin yoke with impact gun to see if noisy,it don't leak

Old 12-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

For clarification purposes, Roverland sells used parts, Centurion is fully re manufactured. The ONLY source for new gears is Centurion, and they're not supplying Roverland, so the gears are probably used, which is a problem.

At this stage, buying a used diff is a crapshoot, as most aged salvage ones or used vehicles will have diff noise if they have not been repaired.

Roverland states their diffs are "open up" and bearings replaced, no mention of gears. Not OE bearings, Chinese ones most likely. The stated warranty is 3 months. The Centurion one is fully re manufactured and warranted for 18 months. The LR one is warranted for 12 months.

Last edited by unseenone; 12-04-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you do a search you should find you are not the only one unhappy with Roverland,
i remember someone going back and forth over an engine for weeks turned out the oil pump was junk .

Old 12-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

.nevermind, I didn't see this was for LR3

Last edited by binvanna; 12-04-2014 at 01:57 PM. Reason: nevermind, I didn't see this was for LR3