LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Equipping an LR4: Adding a hitch & hitch box

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:20 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Equipping an LR4: Adding a hitch & hitch box

I have a 2016 LR4. It did not come equipped with a hitch so I am thinking of adding one in order to primarily carry cargo in a hitch box. I can not find an actual bricks & mortar retailer and shopping for these things online inspires more questions than it answers...So here are the questions that I can think of...please feel free to embellish with your experiences and photos as much as possible!

1. The 2" LandRover hitch is $650 (no tail light hook-up) or $1200 (with tail light hock-up.) Is it best to go with a LR product or are there other brands I should be looking at, better prices, better looking, etc...? (I do want something that looks good and really doesn't stand out too much when not in use)

2. Anyone else have a hitch-mount cargo carrier that they like? I travel to events with my dogs and horses as well as some camping. I think I like the carriers that are just a metal platform with shorter sides rather than the plastic boxes with lids as they seem less restrictive. (for example, I know my large wire crates will not fit in the lidded ones). Also like the idea that I would not have to clean dirt, sand and debris out of the metal platform as it not a solid surface in most cases.

3. Do you still have access to the tailgate with one of these things attached? (like will I be able to get the dogs out for potty breaks without unloading all of my gear?). I've seen models that will fold up (90°) to be flat against the back of the vehicle and others that swing away (although none seems to swing a full 180° to get completely out of the way). Also saw one with a 4" rise just past the bumper. Any thoughts on these features?

4. What do you do for security of cargo? Both locking it up when you are not around it and keeping things from flying off when you are driving

5. Did you have to wire tail lights to the back of your box?

6. Where did you shop for and ultimately purchase these items?

7. How beat up does your stuff get driving long distances on the freeway? (I will consider buying a one of the heavy-duty duffle bag things that they sell with the metal deck-type carriers or a tarp and bungies at the very least)

Thanks in advance for any input that might help me make this decision!
Amy

Last edited by amyowen; 04-25-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:42 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets start here...Does anyone have a photo of their hitch receiver installed on a later model LR4? I'm curious to see if the entire assembly is under the bumper or if the small removable panel on the bumper is part of this...? Land Rover website is so vague on their accessories info...and the people at the dealership seem clueless. I already made a mistake with the cargo area cover. I don't want to spend a small fortune on the hitch until I see what I am getting. Here are some images that I found via Google.

Thanks! Amy

Old 05-23-2016, 11:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Been a month since you posted this; hopefully, you have a solution already.

Once you buy the current Quick Release Tow Hitch Receiver LR040248 (best price for the receiver and electrics seems to be British Atlantic, ~$350), any tow hitch, load box or frame should fit. I have not found any other receiver provider.

Sometimes used ones show up on the eBay.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Here is a solution that a guy in CA did.. You can contact him for details on the basket, etc.

LR3 Hitch Options? - Page 2 - Expedition Portal