LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 Brakes and rotors

Old 08-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR4 Brakes and rotors

I have a 2011 LR4 and the brake light came on. I have 20,000 miles on it. I pulled the tires and took a look and I have at least 10,000 left on the front pads in my opinion. I took it to landrover and they told me..... I need new brakes and Rotors all for a low price of $1500. I do my own work on my vehicles and wanted to know am I missing something? I can get some high end aftermarket brakes and rotors for $500.

Please shed some wisdom on me. The brakes look like a standard set up and the pads look standard as well. I read that the Brakes are a softer compound and help it stop better? That is really all I can find on this subject.

Thanks for the help

Old 08-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Overlanding

This might help to elicit a response. I am new to this forum and no I am not trying to sell anything. Just looking for some insight to the brake system.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are not missing anything. The OEM wear sensors tend to trip early. This allows the average owner to get their vehicle serviced before there is a risk to the rotors.

Typically I replace rotors every 2nd pad change. Next change I will be going with aftermarket rotors and some type of ceramic pads to cut down on the dust. The OEM pads like most euro pads are soft and make a bloody mess. I am getting sick and tired of dealing with excessive brake dust on the 20" split 10 spoke wheels.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ktm_525
You are not missing anything. The OEM wear sensors tend to trip early. This allows the average owner to get their vehicle serviced before there is a risk to the rotors.

Typically I replace rotors every 2nd pad change. Next change I will be going with aftermarket rotors and some type of ceramic pads to cut down on the dust. The OEM pads like most euro pads are soft and make a bloody mess. I am getting sick and tired of dealing with excessive brake dust on the 20" split 10 spoke wheels.

Perfect thank you!!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Overlanding

Very easy job. Just like any other. I broke in the new rotors and brakes and the Rover has a better brake feel. I think the brakes feel better however it did need new brakes. So lets just call it a draw and over $1000 saved. I think that is a good deal.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When changing pads, it is always a good rule of thumb to either turn the rotors or buy new ones. When bedding in the pads (which dealers or most Indy shops do not do), the pads and rotors "exchange" material which helps them work better as an assembly.

Instructions for bedding in your brakes

Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Orkney LR4
When changing pads, it is always a good rule of thumb to either turn the rotors or buy new ones. When bedding in the pads (which dealers or most Indy shops do not do), the pads and rotors "exchange" material which helps them work better as an assembly.

Instructions for bedding in your brakes

I did the multiple stops at different speeds to bed the brake pads into the new rotors. However checking the thickness of the oem disks was pretty interesting. There is such a tight tollerqnce of what is good and bad turning these rotors would put them up against the too thin specs. Most rotors are like this. Cheap metal and more venting to use less metal. The new rotors I put on compared to oem shouldast the rest of the life of the lr4

Old 11-05-2013, 01:25 PM
1st Gear

can you inform me of the brakes and rotors you used? I would like to upgrade my brakes as well. thanks

Old 11-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Overlanding

Raybestos off of rock auto. So far so good 4000 miles and all is well

Old 10-12-2014, 07:59 PM
5th Gear

Hi,

Just wondering if you could provide another quick update on how those Raybestos are doing. I've been debating whether to get them (Part#PGD1479M for front pads and #980526 for front rotors) or get the OEM TRWs for nearly the same price, for a 2010 LR4 HSE.

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LR4 Brakes and rotors