LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 buyer tips for a newb to Land Rover

Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR4 buyer tips for a newb to Land Rover

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions in regards to making the jump to Land Rover world.

A little about myself. I worked in the automotive industry for 12+ years mainly in the service department for VW, Audi and Porsche. I've always like Land Rovers but have been hesitant to change brands due to old stigma of reliability.

I will be replacing my 2004 Toyota 4Runner V8 sport. I love the truck but the frame is getting a little tired and the interior worn out. I average about 17-19mpg as I live in the foothills of the white mountains in Maine. It currently has 173k on the odometer and still runs like a top.

My main attraction to the LR4 is the off road ability with the added luxury and fit and finish. I like the third row seat and built in rear entertainment for my soon to be first born child.

We really like the V8 in our current vehicle and only having a V6 in the new 4Runners is a real turn off. Not to mention the change in the 4wd option.

Hence why I'm seriously looking into either a 2010 or 2011 LR4.

I need something with room
The ability to tow
Good 4 season driving ability
Safe
Something with longevity

Here are some questions:

What's the average life span of the brakes and tires? (I will mostly be driving backroads with limited city/stop and go driving)

What are some average MPG for this vehicle?

Any high mileage LR4's out there? Is 150,000 uncommon for this engine?

I do plan on taking this off road too

Any common issues either mechanical or electrical? E.g. Persistent oil leaks, bad fuel pumps, air ride concerns etc.

Other vehicles I am considering are the VW Touareg 2 TDI and the BMW X5 Diesel. Both these vehicles are nice and get better fuel mileage but the cargo space is less in both and the BMW AWD is more game and not really off-road ready.

Any and all info is most appreciated.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:41 PM
5th Gear

80 views and no advice? I know the LR4 forum is somewhat slow on traffic but nothing?

Old 07-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 80 views and no advice are saying "search and you shall find..." - I used to reply to a lot of these questions when I first signed up but now I just am too tired....no offense meant.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Just bought a 2011, 3 months ago with 23K on it. Have owned others ( in signature ). I have put 4K miles on since purchase. You will have to shop around for parts as dealer wants $50+ for oil filter. Needs full synthetic all around. I get as specified 12 mpg around town and have seen 19 on trips. Brakes pads about 25K. Already had warranty water pump replacement and dealer did not rinse after replacing so smelled like antifreeze. Tires are not known yet as the PO had put 20" wheels with Goodyear Eagles and the front were pretty much gone. This is a heavy truck, right at 7000lbs., so things will wear a lot more than the Toyota. The LR4 is much more refined today which makes mpg a mute factor. The 5.0L V-8 is quick and quite. The only flaw I see is the FOMOCO stamps on engine and filter housing, other wise great. Wife had he Disco 1 for 14 yrs., I expect this one will be longer. If you wrench you will be satisfied that you can do the job. I am waiting on a diagnostic/reset program for the LR4 so I can stay away from dealer, as the charge $132 hr. in St. Louis and the techs cannot spell Eagle, saw Egale on PO service sheet.

The following users liked this post:
mmbirtcher (09-12-2020)
Old 07-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagfixer
. This is a heavy truck, right at 7000lbs., so things will wear a lot more than the Toyota.
It is nowhere that heavy.

Curb weight of LR4: 5617 lbs
GVWR: 7143 lbs.

In reality the LR4 is 200-300 lbs lighter than a Ford Expedition so by North American standards it isn't that heavy..

Old 07-22-2014, 01:24 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I am also in Maine L/A area
I have had my LR4 for about 2yrs.
No major issues
15mpg/city
20+mp hwy (cruise set to 70 usually)
I have taken her off roading a bit(with stock tires), with no major issues.
I just replaced the brakes all around (rears had 43K, and front 26K on them), with EBC green boxes, and sport rotors. Same OEM stopping quality with less brake dust, and noise.
I am on OEM Bridgestones, that dealer replaced when I bought at 17K (currently 46K)
Service is expensive especially since we can only go to Scarborough,unless you are on the "other" side of the and can go to Canada
I was a tech at Land Rover Peabody, and Woburn Jaguar, so I can do most things myself (but have never had too)

GL if you decide to purchase, and happy Rovering

Old 07-22-2014, 06:27 AM
5th Gear

Thank you all for the replies and input.

The wife and I drove a LR4 and loved it. But we also drove a new 4runner. We were set on getting a new 4Runner but wanted more seat time. So we drove a limited and a base just to see the differences.

As much as we really wanted to like the 4Runner, we sadly didn't. The seats were uncomfortable, it only comes in the V6 which seems underpowered and underwhelming when driving. It's a good vehicle but just not what we were looking for.

I did a quick search while we were heading back to the dealership and found a 2011 certified LR4 HSE LUX with the Heavy duty package with only 24k on it.

I called the dealer immediately and put a deposit on it to hold it. We are going Saturday to test drive and confirm it's the one we want. (Driving from western Maine to Albany, NY)

I really wanted one with the HD package but were very hard to find. We both loved the LR4, so it seems it was meant to be.

I did talk with a land rover technician about maintenance and any obvious issues with the LR4, and he basically reiterated what was said on here. Brakes, tires the occasional fuel injector on the early (2010) models. But other than that a great vehicle.

We are very excited and hope this works out.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:38 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LR4compared to 4Runner?

No brainer the lr4 is in a different league.

mmbirtcher (09-12-2020)
Old 07-25-2014, 08:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If you like comfort and the power to go anywhere you want or just trolling around town, you will "love" your LR4. Cannot beat the versatility or safety let alone the creatures comforts. Never again will I be without some sort of Rover. Had a 5 yr. break with an F150 4X4, good truck but not a Rover.

danboy (03-09-2020)
Old 07-27-2014, 10:06 AM
5th Gear

Ended up buying a 2011 LR4 HSE LUX with the HD package. Black on black. Pretty excited to start outfitting it for some overlanding.

mmbirtcher (09-12-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LR4 buyer tips for a newb to Land Rover