LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LR4 owner in Vermont - some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:25 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LR4 owner in Vermont - some questions

Hi
Just bought new LR4 from dealer in Norwood Mass. I live in Vermont (no dealer nearby) and it's a bit hard getting info long distance.

I think I'm entitled to a two hour course in the LR driving school? Is that correct?

Do I need snow tires? I don't plan to do off-road driving but a lot of our roads don't get plowed well or often. I live on end of private dirt road and sometimes our guy doesn't plow until Kate in the day. What's the consensus on snow tires?

Is there a factory extended warranty? All I seem to find are after-market insurance policies. Does LR offer extended warranty. I think their main site is not all that helpful on stuff like this.

Beagle

Old 12-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I am unaware of any "free" off road training available from Land Rover.
I live in Maine, and have a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter, it does help a lot.
There is a Factory Certified Pre-owned program, but only applies to vehicle bought used. I have heard of some people "selling" their car back to the dealer, and "re-purchasing" to get the CPO program. THis is a bit shady IMO though.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:02 PM
Mudding
Default Questions

Did you purchase from Land Rover Norwood? I just purchased a 2013 CPO LR4 in New Jersey (live on Cape Cod) which had 5 year/ 100k mile warranty, at paper signing time I was offered a warranty extension to 8 years/ 100k miles. Naturally I did it, but it was only an option because the vehicle was still under warranty CPO, so if yours wasn't CPO then I think your only option is private extended warranties.

My wife's Subaru has Nokian WRG3 tires which are all season 50k mile tires but they perform nearly as well as designated snow tires. You can eliminate the need for a second set of wheels or getting tires changed over every season. They come in 255/55-19 as well. My LR4 will have off-road tires on it shortly so I can't attest to the stock tires in the snow.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:34 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by jaguardoc504
I am unaware of any "free" off road training available from Land Rover.
I live in Maine, and have a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter, it does help a lot.
There is a Factory Certified Pre-owned program, but only applies to vehicle bought used. I have heard of some people "selling" their car back to the dealer, and "re-purchasing" to get the CPO program. THis is a bit shady IMO though.
Do you have a dedicated set of wheels for the snows? If so, where did you get them? I know nothing about differences between wheels. Steel or alloy?

I got mine new so CPO doesn't enter the picture. Was hoping the factory offered an extended warranty on new vehicles.

Thnx

Beagle

Old 12-15-2016, 06:52 AM
Mudding
Default Off-road class

It is probably a dealer by dealer decision but I know Land Rover Cape Cod holds a customer off-road day for people that purchased a vehicle from them. It is with Land Rover off-road instructors and they build a course in a local sand/gravel pit. Maybe call the dealer in Norwood and see if they participate with anything like this.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:22 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Beagle
Do you have a dedicated set of wheels for the snows? If so, where did you get them? I know nothing about differences between wheels. Steel or alloy?

I got mine new so CPO doesn't enter the picture. Was hoping the factory offered an extended warranty on new vehicles.

Thnx

Beagle
We purchased a set of Range Rover wheels from a scrap yard for about $400 (for all 5), and put the snow tires on them. the Cape doesn't get snow like VT, amd the the ME mountains. Any "all season" tire will perform OK in in a few inches of fluff, but get a 8", 12" or more of heavy wet snow... useless.
Nokians are great tires (we havethem for my wifes i3) and they make a fantastic snow tire. I would have went with them but they didn't have the size I wanted. 245/50r20 is what I am running, a slightly narrower than stock tire, makes a little bit of a difference in the snow, and you don't notice in in normal conditions.

There is a new 18" steel wheel option from Terrafirma (Lucky8 carries them with the spacers).

Old 12-17-2016, 12:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Congratulations on the new purchase

I believe you can buy the LR extended warranty from your dealer. But you can do that in a few years as you approach the expiration of your current warranty. Call and ask them. Price is usually negotiable too...

Snow tyres definitely help. It of course has 4wd but it's a nearly 3-ton truck. So more grip is better!
I'd suggest a dedicated set of wheels - lots of LR4 alloys on eBay for about 600usd. You'll earn that back after a couple of years of spinning tires on and off....

Old 12-17-2016, 05:10 PM
4wd Low

Thank you for all the good feedback. I've seen wheels on eBay but cannot judge quality. Are Chinese wheels any good?

I spoke with the LR Driving School in znanchester vt and they told me that I should expect a "welcome packet" from LR soon and it will include a free two-hour driving lesson. I'm looking forward to that- it has some affiliation with the Equinox and there's a special rate for the LR school users so my wife can spa whilst I go hog wild in the snow or mud.

They recommended Nokia Hakkapelitta tires. That's what the use on their vehicles. Also said the Pirelli Scorpions are nearly as good.

Beagle

Old 12-18-2016, 03:38 PM
4wd Low

My new LR4 has 20 inch wheels. I'm probably going to get a set of wheels for snow tires - can I put 19 or 18 inch wheels on the LR4? There are far more tires available for those sizes and they're cheaper.

Beagle

Old 12-18-2016, 08:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Yes - 19inch fit fine and are pretty standard on LR4. You can prob pick up a set from a Land Rover / Range Rover pretty easily. I believe some 18inch can fit too but you'll need to check the fitment of specific wheels

Quick Reply: New LR4 owner in Vermont - some questions