LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow, for what it is worth!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Snow, for what it is worth!

Just drove to Fla. thru Ala. snowstorm. Stopped in Athens, Ala. for night as storm hit as we were crossing state line due to delay in Nashville created by road crews. Left next day with 1/2 lane open after a 8" local to 14" county snowfall. Had no problems on ice or thru snow. Kept speeds with trucks until 1 1/2 lanes opened and increased to 55 mph. Stopped at a rest stop and when leaving the stop encountered a 4' pile on a shortened ramp to hwy. Traffic being single lane and trucks in line could not immediately get out and had to stop in pile. Actually busted pile and got on hwy, leaving an Acadia stranded facing pile ( could not see thru me and see pile ). I used first setting with DSC off and had no slips or slides and actually returned to 65 mph by Birmingham when snow started disappearing. On return, got back in snow in lower Illinois and just turned off DSC and ran at 65mph until I had to go on rural county roads, but was only slowed on snow pack because of inept drivers. I had threatened my LR4 that if it could not keep up with my previous Rovers or F150 4X4 Supercrew Ford truck I would sell and return to Ford. My LR4 is as good my old Classic, Disco 1 and Range P38 but much faster.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:20 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is your reasoning behind disabling the DSC when running at highway speeds? I disable mine when I am screwing around on a frozen lake or doing some power slides in fresh powder. I would think the DSC can react much faster than a driver at highway speeds and correct a slide before it even begins?

Old 03-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I am curious as well why you would disable the DSC at highway speeds.
I could understand at lower speeds of <10mph as the DSC is more of a hindrance.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Road was full of ice. The DSC off keeps the vehicle from twitching on slick spots. Works for hydroplaning too. I usually run without DSC as I race an 03 MINI Cooper S and found on first run when new almost took out clutch with the engine trying to overcome the slides. With DSC off and running, if a wheels slips, there will be no computer interference to make the engine cut and cause braking when not needed. DSC is good on dry fast pavement. As for reflexes, mine aren't gone yet. If you have seen the test of the new Stingray, Tanner Foust ran with all electronics and then without. Chevrolet said the car was faster in correcting than any race driver. He beat the electronics by .002 sec., after learning the car in 2 curves. If he could do it again it would be .10 sec. Electronics are a driver's aide not a replacement. I have run cars and trucks for 50 yrs. and have had experience with Rover for 16 yrs. I ran Fire Trucks for a Rural Dept. without 4X4 and literally have only had a 4X4 for last 16 yrs. with Ford F150 4X4 for 5 yrs. could not turn off traction control on Ford. I (knock on wood) have never been stuck, off or on road. I have rallye, race, solo, and time trial experience and lots of boat ramps and farm lanes.

Last edited by Jagfixer; 03-06-2015 at 08:28 PM. Reason: additions
Old 03-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Mudding

Interesting. Running Stability control on does not preclude the driver from making steering inputs. Everyone's experience is different but for day to day driving in snow/ice (about 5 months of the year here) I find the DSTC unobtrusive and for the most part transparent at highway speeds. You do notice it cutting power and/or braking on slow speed sharp corners and starting from a stop and it can be annoying. At speed I have never felt it kick in going in a straight line. I am not sure why it would.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess ultimately it's what you're comfortable with.
I would rather use the vehicle electronics as an aide then not have them at all.

I am in the same boat as you KTM, I like the way LR rolls in the electronic controls as opposed to having them full on or full off. My wife's e90 BMW allows you to selectively apply the DSC. press the button once it turns it down 5%, each consecutive intiation: 15%, 25%, 50%, then off completely.

I feel much more comfortable in smaller cars (then again anything is smaller when compared to our LRs), with the electronic aids turned off. I think it's more because I can "feel" the rotation, or slide before it actually happens.
Maybe it's just me

Old 03-09-2015, 10:50 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jaguardoc504
I guess ultimately it's what you're comfortable with.
I would rather use the vehicle electronics as an aide then not have them at all.

I am in the same boat as you KTM, I like the way LR rolls in the electronic controls as opposed to having them full on or full off. My wife's e90 BMW allows you to selectively apply the DSC. press the button once it turns it down 5%, each consecutive intiation: 15%, 25%, 50%, then off completely.

I feel much more comfortable in smaller cars (then again anything is smaller when compared to our LRs), with the electronic aids turned off. I think it's more because I can "feel" the rotation, or slide before it actually happens.
Maybe it's just me

I feel the same way. The LR4's (and any SUV for that matter) Achilles heel is lack of "feel" both through the suspension and steering. I prefer a more connected car in tough conditions. The best I have had so far was a Volvo V70R. On ice you could feel what the car was up to. With the LR4 there is too much isolation to have a clue. Even on icy highways my Honda Ridgeline is more "planted" and communicates the conditions better than the LR4. In truly nasty stuff (the ditch for instance) I'll take the Land Rover.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling

I have had the LR4 on the track. 0-60 in 7 sec. and run to 130 mph. This vehicle has the capability to almost stop itself if you run a curve or swerve too fast. Does feel awkward as a lumbering log running back roads. Nothing compared to my Cooper S that is 3' above road and can drift all turns and still feel tight. My Jag can constantly drift in any situation of street or track driving. Big behemoth the LR4 it is, but a safe vehicle for the average driver if all electronics are left on. It even will stop a swaying trailer before the driver can react. And can stop quicker than most vehicles it's size in emergency stops. Mine did keep from killing a child running out to street from in between parked cars. One of our baseball players hit a tree on a back road and walked home. Safe, heavy, so far reliable ( do all my own maintance and repairs <none>) and not shabby on mileage at 75 mph on trips ( averaged 18.4 ) to Fla. Better than my Ford truck.

Last edited by Jagfixer; 03-10-2015 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2015, 08:55 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry:

What tires were you running in your snow adventure?