LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Electrical Harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 11:06 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Electrical Harness

I installed my Towing Electrical Harness (VPLAT0013ABP) this weekend. The install was fine, but I swear Brits must have really small hands or at least the mechanics that work on them. I have decent sized hands, but all the access areas I have worked on thus far on the LR4; fuse box, rear AC area where the towing harness connects and access to the frame to place mounts for the harness are all REALLY tight. Even the area that holds the jack and tools to lower the spare tire are tight.

Anyway enough of my rant...At the end of the harness installation I noticed there are diagrams in the instructions that lead me to believe I will have to take it to the dealer to "program" the harness? is it possible to just connect the trailer and away I go or is it really needed? If so, has anyone done this and know what the cost is Land Rover service charges for the programing?

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

On my D1 I had to add a converter to use the brakelights and turn signals on the same bulb for the trailer. changes from a 5 wire to a 4 wire trailer. pretty common on european cars with turn signal lights separate from the brake lights. Didn't need to program anything.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I added the harness and the controller and needed no programming. If you want the optional trailer positioning you will need program. This is another module mounted on trailer. My 7 pin works fine with trailer brakes and my 4 pin actually flashes the trailer icon for turns and braking. Only problem I have is the back up alarm of proximity, just have to shut off alarm. Does not go off while pulling just backing. Camera is also excellent aid for hooking trailer to ball, takes a little getting used to. I only saw this mention of programming by dealer sites. I bought mine at AB as they did not mention programming and I have used them for years.