LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to install roof rails, afraid of breaking sunroofs?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:36 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to install roof rails, afraid of breaking sunroofs?

New owner of a 2010 LR4 that did not come with a roof rack setup.

I have read a few threads on another forum about the glass getting broken while installing the rails?

How common is this?

Thanks,

Mike
Antioch, CA

Old 08-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I want them too. Found at on-line dealer in Utah. Glass is broken because someone leans or drops something on it. As the bolts are not anywhere near glass. The rubber trim on top is where they will go and they do not come with instructions and are bolted thru the roof.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:43 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Jagfixer
I want them too. Found at on-line dealer in Utah. Glass is broken because someone leans or drops something on it. As the bolts are not anywhere near glass. The rubber trim on top is where they will go and they do not come with instructions and are bolted thru the roof.

Thanks....I watched a couple of videos on youtube for the stock and aftermarket roof rails, I'd say operator error for that one thread I read about the dealer breaking 2 glass panels!

After watching those videos I think I'll be ordering a some rails in the near future.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:49 PM
4wd Low
Cool Added short rails without worries

I just bought some short rails from craigslist and put them on my 2011 LR4 a few weeks ago. Oddly enough, the rails seem to fit perfectly without the thicker spacer under the rail. So why use the spacer? Without the thicker metal spacer between the rail and the roof mount, there is a chance that the rail itself will crack the glass roof. The spacers are there for a reason!!!

I suggest this particular youtube video, if you haven't seen it already:

This video discusses the extended OEM roof rails but it is applicable for the short rails. Specifically at around 7 min 10 seconds the gent explains how the bolt, washer, spacer etc, go together but he doesn't really explain why the spacer is necessary.

It's an easy job after seeing the video. I was concerned about cutting the channel but it worked out great.

No worries about breaking glass!

Any questions about install, just ask me!
Johan

Old 12-28-2014, 09:50 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the extended rails on by myself. Bought an oem set on eBay. Took about 1.5 hours to do it.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Don't cut the rails

With the newest OEM ones you do not need to cut the rear part off. So before you go sawing, try putting the rails on first after you take the plugs out.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Stephen Tifft
With the newest OEM ones you do not need to cut the rear part off. So before you go sawing, try putting the rails on first after you take the plugs out.
Anything I need to be aware of? About to install some soon.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

When prying put the plastic rivets DO NOT leverage off the sunroof.

The following users liked this post:
bksteve (05-05-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 08:09 AM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by COSwede
I just bought some short rails from craigslist and put them on my 2011 LR4 a few weeks ago. Oddly enough, the rails seem to fit perfectly without the thicker spacer under the rail. So why use the spacer? Without the thicker metal spacer between the rail and the roof mount, there is a chance that the rail itself will crack the glass roof. The spacers are there for a reason!!!

I suggest this particular youtube video, if you haven't seen it already:

How to fit extended roof rack rail to Land Rover Discovery 3 & 4 ( LR3/LR4 ) - YouTube

This video discusses the extended OEM roof rails but it is applicable for the short rails. Specifically at around 7 min 10 seconds the gent explains how the bolt, washer, spacer etc, go together but he doesn't really explain why the spacer is necessary.

It's an easy job after seeing the video. I was concerned about cutting the channel but it worked out great.

No worries about breaking glass!

Any questions about install, just ask me!
Johan
Hi Johan - this is an old thread, but I was looking to understand why my LR4 roof rail installation cracked my panoramic roof glass. To be clear, the correct spacer installation prevents stress (and subsequent breakage) of the glass? Very grateful for you advice, since I will be replacing the glass, and don't want to repeat the same mistake! Thank you, Yohann

The following users liked this post:
bksteve (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 09:48 PM
1st Gear
Default ‘Unscrew’ the plugs, don’t pry them.

Originally Posted by Yohann Dias
Hi Johan - this is an old thread, but I was looking to understand why my LR4 roof rail installation cracked my panoramic roof glass. To be clear, the correct spacer installation prevents stress (and subsequent breakage) of the glass? Very grateful for you advice, since I will be replacing the glass, and don't want to repeat the same mistake! Thank you, Yohann
I tried to pry off the plugs but then realized I could just unscrew them once I got a good on the plastic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to install roof rails, afraid of breaking sunroofs?