LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIND NOISE 2011 LR4/Discovery

Old 11-05-2011, 09:05 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WIND NOISE 2011 LR4/Discovery

Hi, I have a 2011 LR4 which I am very happy with. There is a loud whistle that comes from the front driver and passenger doors 35-50mph. Took it to the dealer they kept it for 4 days masked all the windows/sunroof and ended up ordering in new side view mirrors - problems still there, just as bad. Has anyone else noted this or had it fixed....

Old 11-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

When you brought your vehicle in for your service visit, did you go for a roadtest
with the service advisor or work shop supervisor and verify the complaint?
There is too much room for error if the problem has not been verified.
Do you have roof rails and crossbars on your vehicle? If so remove them and retest for noise.
If not and you are inclined to find this problem I would recommend looking at the "A" pillars
They are the windshield corner posts. Maybe one or both of them are loose.
You could also take a look at the roof rail trim where it meets the windshield.
Other than that you will need to rely on your Friendly Neighborhood Land Rover Center.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:01 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, roof rails howl like the wind.

but like he said its possible the front apillars making noise.

But putting in mirrors using doesn't fix anything.

You don't have mirror covers on that are chrome do you?

Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my rear roof glass replaced and mentioned it to the repair men, they said that it was famous around the windshield, mine was passenger side. I had thought it was the rack also, i have a rover rack voyager rack. Upon placing masking tape along the passenger side of the window where it touches the plastic bit, the noise stopped. i think the plastic bit raises just a little bit at higher speeds, i needed highway speeds to cause the problem.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:42 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

channel rails is what they call them. seen them pop up a bit because they are taped down, not bolted or push pinned down.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:21 AM
3rd Gear
Default Wind Noise

Originally Posted by wvhomebrewer
I had my rear roof glass replaced and mentioned it to the repair men, they said that it was famous around the windshield, mine was passenger side. I had thought it was the rack also, i have a rover rack voyager rack. Upon placing masking tape along the passenger side of the window where it touches the plastic bit, the noise stopped. i think the plastic bit raises just a little bit at higher speeds, i needed highway speeds to cause the problem.
Really curious as to how this was sorted out permanently. I seem to have a wind noise at highway speed on passenger door/twitter/extreme air vent area. Sounds similar to what you had. How was this treated?

Old 02-15-2017, 01:34 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem on my 2010 LR4 after the windshield was replaced.

The noise was coming from the passenger side only on the highway, driving at 70 miles/hour in windy condition.

The glass repair company came a 1st time and glued the seal on the bottom of windshield. It did not work.

They came a second time, and glued the windshield 's seal with a different primer and replaced and glued both A pillar covers.

This time it worked and no more noise.

It should not be noisy inside anyway, we kept nagging the company until it was fixed.

The following users liked this post:
kchisola (02-16-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 08:56 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Long story short...
I had the windshield replaced by Safelite, per the recommendation of my insurance company.
with in 2 days the noise was so unbearable.
Took it to the dealer.
The windshield was not installed properly, cause the A-Pillar trim to sit high.
From visual inspection all looked good, but once you got up to speed, the trim would lift casing a horrific noise.
Dealer removed the glass, and installed a new one, by their local glass company.
No complaints since.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:24 AM
3rd Gear

My issue is sorted. Clearly problem comes from the trim on windshield A-pillars especially after windshield is replaced. Apparently the clips which hold down the trim to the body lose integrity and once they do, the holes let in air/wind at high speed. Very common issue.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:45 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kchisola
My issue is sorted. Clearly problem comes from the trim on windshield A-pillars especially after windshield is replaced. Apparently the clips which hold down the trim to the body lose integrity and once they do, the holes let in air/wind at high speed. Very common issue.

Yes always invest in new A-Pillar trim clips when replacing windshield.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WIND NOISE 2011 LR4/Discovery