Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

cb radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 06:54 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cb radio

So ive been wanting to install a cb radio on my D2. I was wondering what you guys thought of mounting the antenna to the rear tire carrier as far as signal strength/range would go. Also, if youve put a cb radio into your disco feel free to give me any installation tips.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Wheel carrier will be fine, i hve a remote head unit with the body stuck to the inside of the cover under the steering column and the head mounted just to the right of the cup holders. Mine is a D1 but essentially the same dash.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wedged the radio between the passenger seat and the center console, no bracket. It si not the most custom setup but I have had it there for years. I mounted an external speaker between the visors. It is up and out of the the way and you don/t have to turn the radio up real loud to hear. I recommend that no matter where you mount the radio. I have done a ton on research on radios, CB and others. Of course the best place to mount your antenna is in the center of the ground plane and up high. With the antenna at the rear you will focus the signal forward and if the antenna is below the roof line you block the signal but with a 5 watt radio the best you will do is "line of site". We travel in groups with people who have their antennas all over the place and no one really does much better than anyone else and if we are still talking when we are 3/4 mile away it is a lucky day. I have a Bearcat SSB finely tuned with RG8X cable and a very good antenna. I also have a cheap radio with a mag base antenna I carry so I can throw it in a vehicle that does not have a radio. They both do about the same, poorly....CBs suck. If anyone has anything to add here, PLEASE. I am sick of loosing communication with my friends while traveling.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:50 AM
Pro Wrench

I assume you are talking 40 channel AM CB, do you guys use UHF radios/ frequencies at all ?

Old 09-05-2016, 09:44 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh yea, I forget this forum is world wide. Yes, Dizzco and I are using AM radios here is the US. UHF is used in walkie-talkies called FRS (family radios) they work great but have a little less range. UHF is also used for commercial communication but it is expensive to set up and really only designed for business use. UHF is also used for TV and baby monitors but now I am talking outside my knowledge range. You Aussies use UHF for your CB frequencies? How many watts can you legally run?

Old 09-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan on using a HAM setup with the removable face and then you mount the main unit hidden. You will need a amateur radio license in the states. I live up north in Minnesota,, aye. I have heard of guys running marine radios (VHF) in their trucks. Borderline legal. Personally I think its stupid that you need a ham license(for non cb), but they are easy to obtain. You can run linear amplifiers to bump up wattage, In high school we hung out with a guy that had a 150 watt linear amp in his car, whether or not that was legal I cant answer that. Just remember to isolate the radio from your disco's fuse box, I.E. you will need to run a relay with power from battery (fused) to power you CB. Use your ignition switch signal as a trigger for relay, that way no current is drawn thru your oem wiring. Lucas is scary enough alone, no need to add nightmares. Lets see some PICS of installs

Old 09-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mark d
Oh yea, I forget this forum is world wide. Yes, Dizzco and I are using AM radios here is the US. UHF is used in walkie-talkies called FRS (family radios) they work great but have a little less range. UHF is also used for commercial communication but it is expensive to set up and really only designed for business use. UHF is also used for TV and baby monitors but now I am talking outside my knowledge range. You Aussies use UHF for your CB frequencies? How many watts can you legally run?
AM died out in the 80's here and UHF took over , its starting to make a comeback though. Back when i was still using an AM CB i was able to talk to someone on a Honolulu Airforce base using just a standard car cb unit and a 5m base station antenna.
Our UHF has 80 channels and legally the max is 5W output, remote travellers use VHF or sat phones.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

In my d1 thread there's pics, I mounted a small cb to the ceiling by the sunroof controls, ran cable to rear and into cargo door then mounted to tire bracket, there is a factory cb antennea bracket for the cargo door

Old 09-06-2016, 09:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
In my d1 thread there's pics, I mounted a small cb to the ceiling by the sunroof controls, ran cable to rear and into cargo door then mounted to tire bracket, there is a factory cb antennea bracket for the cargo door
There's a factory CB bracket?? Got a picor part #?

Old 09-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Guy had Nos one at our last club BBQ, I should have bought it , matches the ladder, iirc it went over the top lip of the door and uses an existing bolt

Quick Reply: cb radio