I thought I would share a bit about my 2003 D2. I overhauled the engine about 30k ago due to slipped sleeve. New top hat sleeves from Turner Engineering in England, bearings, heads overhauled, all assessories and sensors overhauled or replaced. The rockers have failed twice. Not really failed but one or more started ticking. Arrrrrrgggggg. I searched for roller rockers to upgrade the system but found no easy fix. Called Yella Terra but none available in the US. I suggested they contact Rovers North and Atlantic British as possible distrubutors. Called Harland Sharp and the reluctantly sold me a set but stressed they were not bolt on. That turned out to be very true. The Harland Sharp rockers are excellent but get ready for a bit of figment and research. Custom pushrods from Manton, 3/8" valve cover spacers water jet cut locally (Laser cutting services in Birmingham AL), I made aluminum rocker spacers on my lathe instead of using the stock springs, and replaced the lifters just for the heck of it. The valve cover spacers have a trickle down affect. The upper intake now has to be clearanced to clear the higher valve covers. More to come.
Good view of custom rocker spacers.
Valve cover spacers in place.
Manton push rods. A bit shorter and smaller ball on the rocker end.
I finished up my roller rocker project tonight. All good. This was a fun project but took a lot of engineering on the fly. As a result of the valve cover spacers, the upper intake plenum had to be clearanced, the secondary air pipes had to have their mounting holes elongated, and I used six plenum gaskets stacked. The end results sounds great. It smoothed out as soon as the lifters filled with oil and he engine has never been quieter. I backed it out of the garage and topped the fluids but haven driven it yet. (By the way, I use Toyota red coolant) Will make a grocery run in the morning. This would have been much easier on the engine stand vs the engine bay. I am happy to answer any more detailed questions for the forum if needed. Best regards. Richard.
Quick update. The roller rocker project seems to be a success. I have a few hundred miles on the D2 since the upgrade and all is quiet. I would like to say that I can feel a performance increase but the gain is probably marginal. Quiet valve trane though. Hopefully will be more durable than the originals. Total project cost was under $1000 but that doesn't count a good bit of free labor. All good, Richard
Next project is adding a set of auxiliary driving lights using an OEM Land Rover wiring and switch kit and a set of LED lights attached to the factory soft bull bar.