Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Gutting out cats?

Old 06-23-2016, 04:59 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gutting out cats?

Hey guys, Ive had my 03 Disco for about a year now and I want it to sound more throaty. My buddy told me i could just take my CC's off and beat the bricks out of the inside and install it back into my truck and it will sound better. Would it have any negative effects like gas milage or anything? Id appreciate any advice or feed back for making my disco sound better and preferably without costing me much.
Thanks, Conner

Old 06-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Check engine light. Multiple codes. Running like crap. Plus they are welded onto the downpipe. If you have secondary air you are really opening a can of worms. Doesn't sound worth it.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say remove mufflers and replace with a flow master, keep CC's on for emissions testing if you have to do so, also keep resonators to avoiding the washy sound. Flow master 40 or Super 44 would be my suggestion

Old 06-30-2016, 02:58 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

This is something that I have experience with. Don't do it. It will sound louder, but it will also sound stupid, with weird echoes like there's a huge exhaust leak. I did it when my replacement cats were already on order, just to try it out. 0/10 - would not do again.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:29 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by squirt
This is something that I have experience with. Don't do it. It will sound louder, but it will also sound stupid, with weird echoes like there's a huge exhaust leak. I did it when my replacement cats were already on order, just to try it out. 0/10 - would not do again.

So my rover has no exhaust. The headers, I believe, are welded to a small piece of pipe and thats it. It stops before you get to the end of the engine. Its crazy loud and I love it. Ive been thinking straightpipes, or having the exhaust coming out from behind the front tires. What do you think about the latter choice, behind the front tires?

Old 01-03-2017, 06:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by squirt
Likely the best advice from a wise D2 owner.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I have experience with this, too. Our cats, when empty, make the truck sound like a glass bottle rolling down a driveway. It is not a good sound at all and it is maddening inside the truck. It doesn't sound mean. It sounds broken.

Straight pipes? Maybe that would be good. But the passenger side cat has this little offset from the entrance to the exit of the cat that would make a quick cut and patch job, without a mandrel bender, tough.

Best throaty mods are to convert to a cone filter up front, get rid of the resonator, and go to a Flowmaster muffler. Side out exhaust (though the body panel) and you can listen to that rover heartbeat.

But the cat cake does really save your ears from an awful, terrible, not beefy sound from the engine. At least with the chambers left in place.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:04 AM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine just had a muffler after the Y-pipe and nothing after the muffler - it all ended about mid-truck. Sounded pretty good but for the sake of the neighborhood I bought the rest of the tail-pipe and resonator and had it installed. I like the sound of it either way but it is noticably quieter now.