Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Radical headliner and interior alternatives

Old 12-20-2016, 11:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Radical headliner and interior alternatives

What to do with that sagging headliner...

Well, the common options are to either paint or re-upholster it. I find the paint solution tacky. After cleaning the fiberglass board, and getting ready to lay some new fabric on it... I stopped, and realized, I hate this damn thing. The map pockets sag to the floor, I broke half the rivets, the fiberglass tore a bit, etc. Maybe I've spent too many days deep in the engine and have developed a certain fondness for bare metal, or maybe I'm just crazy -- but what about no headliner at all?

I haven't decided on the solution yet, but I'm pretty set on trashing the headliner, as well as the rear cargo bins and rear upper trim. I have a lot of mods planned, and prefer the flexibility of the bare metal. And wow, so much more cargo space!

Some ideas I had:
  • Dynamat / reflectix line the roof
  • Rugged cargo netting (like something you'd see on an airplane or military
  • Rigid molle panel
  • Mount aluminum or steel rails length-wise, aircraft track
  • King starboard fabbed side panels for the rear
  • folding table for the rear door (this mod is in progress)

I realize I may be alone in this endeavor... so I'm ready for the hate

To polish off the look, I like the Mantec Load Lugga and cargo window guards
Mantec | Quality Land Rover Accessories
Mantec | Quality Land Rover Accessories

Here's where I'm at.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 12-20-2016 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

I have a lot of mods planned, and prefer the flexibility of the bare metal. And wow, so much more cargo space!
I like the look too and if road noise not an issue for you go for it and enjoy/embrace.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

No hate from me, either. The map webbing is just dumb. They all sag.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Pro Wrench

Great, so I'm not crazy. I'm on the lookout for ideas. I'm leaning towards a hard-plastic w/ holes sort of thing. Haven't been able to locate a large enough molle panel.
There's also the complication of sunroofs

some ideas attached

Old 12-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Like the looks of it, although, a non-sunroof model would probably be a better model to mess with (like my SD - 01). It kind of gives it an old Defender type of feel, seeing all of the metal. And I like the extra room or being able to attach accessories directly to steel. Plastic sucks for serious off roading.

Me, if opening and closing the sunroofs wasn't a concern to you...I'd dump the wiring harness/motors and remount dome lights along the side rail...leaving it with a cleaner look.

As previously mentioned...road noise will be two-fold and you'll think you're driving a cargo van or a rag-top Jeep. However, if this is not a concern...then no biggy.

You've got me thinking about doing something like this to my 01 though...thanks...lol. Looking forward to following along with the rest of your project.

Brian.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Thats a really clean vehicle, i would be leaving it as LR intended apart from maybe alloy checker plate on the rear door.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:02 PM
Pro Wrench

I'd like to retain the sunroofs. You make a good point though.

In hindsight I think I jumped the gun too quickly on the Baja rack. Its a bit aggressive. I think a flat bar type lower profile front runner rack would have been better.

Tried to pick up my order of alumnium today but they must have left early for the weekend. Bummer. I did get the rear table cut to size though.

The aluminum will be for the rest door backsplash and to replace the rear bottom trim. 6061-t6 0.063". I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off. I don't have fab skills. We'll see.

rewiring dome lights is on the todo list. I think I will splice the wire into a relay connected to the rear fuse panel, as well as upgrade the lights. This way they're powered off the aux battery and have a switch at the back.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 12-23-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Check out Columbia overland. They make a dual battery tray and a rear door cover in aluminum. I like the idea though and you aren't crazy. These vehicle were designed for off roading and putting some type of setup like that will be sweet. I'm gonna keep following to see what you end up with and might have to borrow the idea. You can always do some led strips or led style bed lights mounted on a seperator switch

Old 12-24-2016, 02:43 PM
Pro Wrench

I did buy Columbia overlands dual battery tray. I can't figure out yet how this thing mounts 100%. The headlamp wires are blocking the edge of the tray from seating properly. Holes don't seem to line up just right. And Im guessing the battery lid clamps onto the left with a j-bolt, but again, the hole in the frame of the truck doesn't line up well with the screw mount on the right side of the tray. Why didn't they just have a screw mount for the left? I asked Columbia overland all these questions - their support/service is awful. No reply. Not happy with them. 2 week shipping delay w/ no communication. Advertised as powdercoated, arrived in unfinished aluminum. Asked for dimensions pre-sale, at first he wouldn't tell me, then finally gave measurements that turned out to be 3"+ off for length and width.

So I will be fabricating the rear door panel myself from aluminum sheet. Never fabbed before, but I'll have to learn anyway if I want to make panels and trim pieces for the interior.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Didn't know their service was like that but good to know. I've never done business with them personally but just saw some of their products while searching. Thought about the rear door panel personally n having it powder coated to match the interior

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radical headliner and interior alternatives