Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Range Rover Camper - Cooling Mod Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:47 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverLife_
Thanks CM ... this rig is pretty incredible
it most certainly is!!

Old 02-27-2017, 04:39 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gents ... I'm still learning the Land Rover platform, but it looks like stock RRC's pump tranny fluid through the oil ports on the radiator and then through the "hog brush" secondary oil cooler located in front of the radiator and AC condenser. Seems like some pretty substantial work to cool that tranny oil for a stock setup!

Has anyone done any tests on the efficiency gain of replacing the hog brush with a traditional aluminum oil radiator?

Old 03-01-2017, 07:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

That's an awesome set up.

Aside from the air resistance it's probably not all that much more heavy than a fully loaded expedition rig. Roof racks winches swing out bumpers coolers and camping gear all add up.

I'd start with the radiatior and use a HD fan clutch. I'd seperate the trans cookers and cooling system. That trans is probably making some nice heat with all that load. Find a place to mount a traditional cooler. Maybe even it's own electric fan if possible.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Overlanding

Appreciate it!
The setup is surprisingly light weight... and I am now siding with the thought that the trans is the main contributor to the cooling problems.

So the current set-up runs the tranny fluid through the radiator and then through a secondary "hog brush" cooler. You're saying to NOT run it through the radiator at all, but instead use a traditional cooler and electric fan? Seems a little risky to remove one of the main cooling components (radiator) and go from a two component cooling systems to a single (but possibly more efficient) one without having any hard data on if over-all cooling efficiency can be accomplished.

But I agree to start with the radiator (was going to invest in a more efficient aluminum radiator) and I'll look into the HD fan clutch. I also agree to go with a traditional oil cooler rather than the hog brush ... I'm just not certain about separating the systems. Know anyone who's done that?

Old 03-01-2017, 05:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

If the trans is making a lot of heat and the cooling system is already taxed it makes sense to me to give the trans it's own large cooler. Most tow vehicles have a separate cooler from the radiator. Even from the factory they get set up that way. Having one large aftermarket cooler for the trans seems way more efficient than trying to jeep it cool using hot coolant as the medium.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Overlanding

I ended up getting an aluminum eBay radiator (pressure test and weld inspect first!), new fan clutch, new water pump, thermostat, flushing the entire system and running water and purple ice. The system has been tested for two years and 20,000 miles in the harshest conditions including 112 degree heat, uphill with the AC blasting. Haven't come close to overheating since.
Although just recently I replaced the overflow cap and am losing half the overflow bottle worth of coolant each time I drive. 90% sure the cap is leaking and it's boiling out of the cap which must not be holding pressure. Hard to test to be sure, not seeing any leaks anywhere as this stuff must evaporate pretty quickly. If I only could find my old cap. I'll be ordering another here shortly to test... will get the second from cheapest on eBay this time rather than the cheapest. HA

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (11-21-2018)