Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Safari Rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:59 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice work !

Old 08-25-2016, 08:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice rack. However, the last time I said that it was to a female and I ended up getting slapped.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by ccraft18
I bough all the pipe myself with a 1" pipe bender. Because it's all EMT conduit it was much easier and lighter to work with than steel (but a lot harder to weld). I made my own mounts of some 90 degree carpentry brackets. I'll post a picture of them as soon as I can
I was going to ask about that. I welded up a small rack for and ice fishing sled from 3/4" EMT and it was a pain in the ****. Any tips??

Old 11-12-2016, 10:05 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome pipe work! i am looking into putting a rack on my Disco as well. Its cool i came across this post. i have been questioning if one could actually be built at home? being that I am electrician i have full confidence in my bending skills. So i must say that you have inspired me to do this myself. Did you use 1" pipe for a reason? i know the radius of the bends is gonna be 6-8" on the 90 degree bends but do u think 3/4" will work and clear the roof far enough to allow sun roofs to operate

Old 11-12-2016, 10:36 PM
Overlanding

This is awesome! i am electrician and have been wondering if this could be done? And you sir, have confirmed it! im gonna start next weekend. Did you use 1" pipe for any reason? i know the radius osf the 90 degree is 6-8 inchs. but, could 3/4" work?
Also, on the under side of the rack i see that there are cross pieces for bracing... did you use EMT as well for that?
Where did you find the brackets?

Sorry to bother, i found your mock up is well done and im just wondering wondering worked for you. Hopefully you might send some advice or tricks to help.

Again well done!!!
'

Old 11-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AFDisco ll
This is awesome! i am electrician and have been wondering if this could be done? And you sir, have confirmed it! im gonna start next weekend. Did you use 1" pipe for any reason? i know the radius osf the 90 degree is 6-8 inchs. but, could 3/4" work?
Also, on the under side of the rack i see that there are cross pieces for bracing... did you use EMT as well for that?
Where did you find the brackets?

Sorry to bother, i found your mock up is well done and im just wondering wondering worked for you. Hopefully you might send some advice or tricks to help.

Again well done!!!
'

yea I used 1" galvanized EMT for the whole thing. I just figured that it would be a good diameter and look a little better, there was really no bearing on my choice. Overall the price and weight for the 1" was exactly what I wanted. Every piece on the rack you see is EMT except for the mounting brackets and expanded metal base on the rack. The mounting brackets are 90 degree wood brackets you would see on a fence. Fortunately they're still steel so they hold up well. Fortunately my father and uncle are electricians so they had the benders that I was needing, and yes the 90 degree bends end up being about 8". Let me know if you have any other questions

The following users liked this post:
TerraRover (08-23-2017)
Old 11-14-2016, 12:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
I was going to ask about that. I welded up a small rack for and ice fishing sled from 3/4" EMT and it was a pain in the ****. Any tips??

Fishsticks.....surface prep, scuff that initial surface.
Anti-spat....
Drop wire size to .023, lower your heat.
Don't use flux-core wire.

I created a draw jig from a cheap pipe bending die which creates a 6" radious, but since you only use 90*s of the bend, it appears to be a 3" bend...it'll bend both emt & light 1" tube with out kinking.

Rack looks good!

Old 11-19-2016, 07:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

That turned out nice, good job!

Yep, good advice from DD about dropping wire speed, temp and wire diameter to .023, only thing I might add would be technique, use a "stitching motion" while welding. Use short little welds, stitches, and let them cool between stitches. As in...weld a stitch, wait a half second, weld another stitch, wait, etc.

Working this way allows the just welded area time to cool some and form its strength, once it has cooled some, the weld becomes harder and it takes more heat to melt it away. If you continue to quickly, it never hardens to its maxium strength and melts away easily with continued welding and the extreme heat build up.

Brian.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:31 AM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

very Nice! I also built one in EMT and its holding up perfectly!I used 3/4" EMT and its strong! I can imagine yours is extra strong!

Old 11-23-2016, 07:09 PM
Overlanding

hey bud, im looking to build mine this weekend but im having trouble finding those carpentry brackets you got. Where can i pic those up? an could you send a photo?

Quick Reply: Safari Rack