Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Vapour Sequential Injection LPG conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 09:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vapour Sequential Injection LPG conversion

Howdy group,

Since the days of venturi style LPG (liquified petroleum gas) conversions for the Rover V8, I've firmly held the opinion, rightly or wrongly, that gas was for barbecues. This is not to be confused with USA terminology where gas = gasoline and barbecues = outdoor grill. Folks in the UK and Australia will know that gas means the stuff that comes out of the ground from oil explorations and is converted into liquid fuel for powering engines.

LPG conversions on the Disco II in Australia using the venturi or carburettor style of diffusing the gaseous fuel into the air intake system have had mixed success. On poorly set up systems, the gas would flood the inlet manifold and occasionally cause a backfire which would damage the mass air flow sensor and even break the air cleaner box into pieces.

So I've avoided thinking about an LPG conversion for a long time.

With the advent of LPG vapour sequential injection systems appearing on the market, I think the time to install an LPG VSI system onto the Disco has become a reality.

VSI injects gas vapour right at the port of the inlet manifold, pretty much in the same location as the existing petrol/gasoline injectors. VSI fuel control is managed by a computer that piggy backs off the existing engine's ECU, so fuel mapping is controlled transparently by the Land Rover's ECU, with the exception that actual petrol injectors are disabled. So the lambda sensors in the engine, knock sensors, etc are all functional and continue to be used when running on LPG.

I'll be getting my vehicle converted with the OMVL Dream system on Wednesday this week and will know by the end of the week when I get the vehicle back whether or not it all works as advertised. :-)

I think that the LPG conversion will be an enabler for me to start driving the Land Rover around again, since it has become cripplingly expensive to fuel the Discovery on high octane petrol with the prices of crude oil being what they have been lately.

Will give an update once I drive the vehicle around more.

I would like to hear the experiences of others (perhaps in the UK?) who have had LPG fitted to their vehicles.

Cheers,

Lawrance Lee
'99 V8 auto
Melbourne, Australia

Old 11-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Vapour Sequential Injection LPG conversion

Thanks for the information. I will be very interested to hear how it all turns out. Of particular interest is the cold-start characteristics and available power (as compared to the petrol set-up) after the conversion.

Regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 04-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vapour Sequential Injection LPG conversion

Any updates? I'm very curious to know how it all worked out...