Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Wheels/Tires/Offset/Suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 02:52 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels/Tires/Offset/Suspension advice

I'm fairly new to the whole off road thing, and definitely new to the Land Rover community. Love it so far. I have a back ground in custom cars and had a good understanding of things, but this is a different creature than I am use to. I have a 99' Disco II and eventually want to do some mods to it. I was hoping to get some input as far as wheels and tires (size/offset/etc.) as well as suspension. I'd like a modest lift (2"-3") and advice on what else people recommend to do when lifting the disco (steering stabilizer and whatnot.) Also, what products are quality for the Land Rover. Sorry if this all seems naive, like I said, I'm new to the off road world. Any advise or recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:08 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

First priority will be to make sure you have a mechanically sound vehicle. The D2 section has numerous info on maintenance (e.g., front driveline, 180-deg thermostat, etc).

You will have to let us know of the intent of your Disco (e.g., light vs heavy off-roading, type of terrain such as gravel, rocks, etc). The mods which we suggest will depend on your intended use.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

+1 on get the maintenance up to date imo these are one of the most neglected vehicles maintenance wise since they were originally bought by yuppies for mall crawling

Church transfer case fluid and rears, check u joints ESP front drive shaft, if it let's loose you will buy a trans

Old 07-07-2014, 06:57 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
+1 on get the maintenance up to date imo these are one of the most neglected vehicles maintenance wise since they were originally bought by yuppies for mall crawling

Church transfer case fluid and rears, check u joints ESP front drive shaft, if it let's loose you will buy a trans
Already put a Tom Woods front prop shaft on and recently replaced the transfer case. I still have maintenance I want to do, this thread was to get a game plan together for the future.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RTE 3" lift and Fox 2.0s if you want to do it right. That will require new lower front shock mounts for sure. Not sure on the rest. Not sure on d2 wheel offset. PM ZGphoto. He has a very nice D2 with a 3" lift, bumpers, lockers, gears and 33s.