New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Good Evening From a Potential Future Disco Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Evening From a Potential Future Disco Owner

Hey there!
I've been rattling the idea around for a few years on purchasing a D2 and I believe I'm at a point that I'll buy one next spring. Being an Aircraft Mechanic, I'm no stranger to fixing mechanical things, and I've had my share of headstrong vehicles.

1994 300ZX
1980 Malibu w/383 SBC
2001 S2000
2001 RX300

I currently drive a couple of LS430's and am itching at getting another project in the garage.

I figure I've got the next 4 months to learn everything I can about the Discovery so I'll be ready to purchase in the spring. Hoping to learn as much as I can here

Jim

Old 12-26-2016, 10:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Good idea to do as much research as possible. Especially, here. Plenty of knowledgeable folks around these parts and most have been down the same road, some bumper than others and on rare occasion...smooth sailing.

You'll notice a familiar tone on Craigslist posting...most mention an overheating issue...that can be "easily" repaired. Don't even bother calling on such listings, since most would have been repaired, if it was something easy or cheap.

Then you have the "tick"...beware of this issue also. It is sometimes a result of overheating the engine and usually means slipped cylinder sleeve(s). Not an easy fix by any means.

Then there is the CDL issue, some models have it, while some don't. If somewhat serious off roading is in your future...CDL would be a concern. It can be added to a couple different years that just have the linkage eliminated by the factory...but others need more changes.

Check the classified here, some nice rigs pop up from time to time.

Good luck, in your endeavor.

Brian.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks Deputy. I appreciate the insight and assistance!

Old 12-29-2016, 09:00 AM
1st Gear
Default Owning a Disco II

I bought my Disco II about 3 years ago with 86,000 miles on it and I love it to this day. Before I bought mine I did a lot of research concerning all the issues everyone alway seems to have, and I wrongly assumed that somehow I might get lucky, and with "proper maintenance" mine would not have problems. But, let me tell you, almost all Disco's have the same issues, "three amigos" , overheating, and "ticking".......just to mention a few. Other things like falling headliners and horn buttons popping out are also a consistent theme. If you're a do it yourself kinda person then you'll be fine. Otherwise, you'll get to know your mechanic on a first name basis, and he'll benefit more from your land rover ownership more than you will. What I have learned is that things will break on the Disco, not necessarily because of poor maintenance, but rather because it is just part of the design. In the end, I would say you either love it or hate it. There's probably no in between with land rover ownership. If you love it, then every time you fix something by using your own crafty ingenuity, and without forking over a pocket full of money, well, you'll get this since of confidence and achievement that only a land rover owner can understand. If you hate it, well, you'll probably put it on Craigslist the first month. If you're married, well, you can expect the rover to become a topic of much discussion..........at least at my house.
BTW, I fixed those pesky little horn buttons from popping out by simply melting down the tabs with a lighter and bending them back just enough to to keep em in the steering wheel. Haven't popped out since!